real time web analytics
Report - - Royal Alexandra Infirmary, Paisley - March 2019 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Royal Alexandra Infirmary, Paisley - March 2019

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Brewtal

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Massive thanks to @Pammyj for the tip off about this place being accessible again for a very brief moment in time! :thumb

Another revisit, I only have antique phone scribbles from here that I took a long time ago. Tried a revisit on a few of occasions to no avail, so it was nice to have a wander around inside the flaky old cretin again.

History (shamelessly copied and pasted from Pammyj's report):

The Royal Alexandra Infirmary was built to designs by T. G. Abercrombie and was, as the recent Pevsner Guide noted, the largest and most prestigious of his Paisley buildings. It was replaced by the present Royal Alexandra Hospital in the 1980s, and whilst some of the former infirmary buildings have been converted to new uses, large parts of this fine building are in a ruinous state.
The plan of the infirmary is of particular interest from its incorporation of circular wards in a three storey block to the north. Another distinctive feature were the ward pavilions to the south which terminated in semi‑circular open verandas or balconies.
The hospital was extended further over the years until its closure in 1987 when the new hospital was opened in Craw Road. Part of the main range of the old Infirmary was then used as a care home, the rest was converted into flats in about 1995. The former nurses’ home was converted into flats in 2005-6 by Aitken Turnbull Architecture. After the care home closed in about 2008, this part of the former Infirmary began to deteriorate.

zQK2Gquh.jpg

QSTOrsBh.jpg

VW1bmpjh.jpg

kKIVhSgh.jpg

bhMhCDCh.jpg

qRfcsqAh.jpg

dobwwhch.jpg

yCrEjneh.jpg

i5kObRSh.jpg

ghSKqL0h.jpg

fnESp4mh.jpg

OzEgItUh.jpg

g5xuSyih.jpg

sR45hOPh.jpg

5xH3Xg5h.jpg

UH5iAZkh.jpg

ijyJNqoh.jpg

ApezXXuh.jpg

vgDjPS5h.jpg

wL8e24Ah.jpg

cqV48rHh.jpg

vdFK8OKh.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Pammyj

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Your more than welcome my friend :thumb

Wow these are brill ;) That was where you met my pal and got a bit freaked out eh! Too funny :D

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
Really hope this is accessible again come my annual trip north of the border in November. Wanted to see it for years.

Brewtal

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Really hope this is accessible again come my annual trip north of the border in November. Wanted to see it for years.
Make sure you have a short list for your next trip, there will be loads of places I will wanna show you by then!

Who has read this thread (Total: 207) View details