real time web analytics
Lead or Rumour info - - Royal Bethlem hospital tunnels | Leads, Rumours and News... | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Lead or Rumour info - Royal Bethlem hospital tunnels

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Ant-the-m4nc

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Just wondering if anyone had any reports of the above? I currently work on the site and I’m keeping my eye out, i have heard rumours of a shelter and connecting tunnels.

Wastelandr

Goes where the Buddleia grows
Regular User
Not sure although it's probable it did have utility tunnels - if that's the Croydon one it surely must have to connect services to the separate buildings. Also any ideas if the chapel there is generally open?

Ant-the-m4nc

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Yes Croydon/beckenham border.

For sure utility tunnels, been in them but no sign of bricking old passage ways or back filling anywhere.

I have pestered the drain serve contractor on site, he giggled and says I can’t tell you, so it keeps my hopes up.

Yes chapel is open and is a public site just have to keep away from the wards.

Ps Lambeth psychiatric hospital has been sold and is readying for move of there services. Wink.

Wastelandr

Regular User
Yes Croydon/beckenham border.

For sure utility tunnels, been in them but no sign of bricking old passage ways or back filling anywhere.

I have pestered the drain serve contractor on site, he giggled and says I can’t tell you, so it keeps my hopes up.

Yes chapel is open and is a public site just have to keep away from the wards.

Ps Lambeth psychiatric hospital has been sold and is readying for move of there services. Wink.

Are you wondering if the utility tunnels might connect to some kind of other shelter then or similar? As far as I know tunnels under former asylums were often a mixture of crawlspaces and walkable passageways.

Ah great, I was hoping to pay a visit to the place soon and have a look at the museum and chapel. A very interesting 1930s' mental hospital with a few similarities to Runwell closer to me. Some great Art Deco buildings by the looks of it.

Ant-the-m4nc

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Are you wondering if the utility tunnels might connect to some kind of other shelter then or similar? As far as I know tunnels under former asylums were often a mixture of crawlspaces and walkable passageways.

Ah great, I was hoping to pay a visit to the place soon and have a look at the museum and chapel. A very interesting 1930s' mental hospital with a few similarities to Runwell closer to me. Some great Art Deco buildings by the looks of it.
That’s what I’m thinking, there’s various ruins and mounds around the site also but no sign of an entrance, be good if I could get an old blue print of the original hospital site, it’s changed a lot over the years.

The museum is open usual working hours and chapel i believe the same.

It is an interesting site and a lovely area for a mooch, full of woodland, it is one of the last hospitals of its kind I believe other than the high security estates.

Wastelandr

Regular User
That’s what I’m thinking, there’s various ruins and mounds around the site also but no sign of an entrance, be good if I could get an old blue print of the original hospital site, it’s changed a lot over the years.

The museum is open usual working hours and chapel i believe the same.

It is an interesting site and a lovely area for a mooch, full of woodland, it is one of the last hospitals of its kind I believe other than the high security estates.
Sounds great cheers for the info!

Yeah could be worth seeing if you can find any plans, potentially the museum or archive might have some. Tunnel wise I would only expect to find utility tunnels maybe opening out into basements and bits. Air raid shelter wise I don't know if asylums generally bothered with them given the chaos getting patients in there might cause, but maybe there could've been a few for staff as this place was built comparatively nearer to the war.