real time web analytics
Report - - Royal Mail Sorting Offices AKA ‘The Bendigo Building’, Nottingham – January 2022 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Royal Mail Sorting Offices AKA ‘The Bendigo Building’, Nottingham – January 2022

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

MotionlessMike

28DL Regular User
Regular User
A big late 60s office block and depot built for the GPO as a mechanised parcel sorting office which closed in the 2002. The lower floors were occupied for some time thereafter by Hertz car rentals.

Some further info from @Snowhead

‘I worked on that building when it was under construction in the 60's and at the time it was having Blue Asbestos sprayed on the steelwork. I later worked on maintenance on the building for around 7 years.

When the building was no longer required by the Post Office it was sold to an asbestos removal contractor for a nominal price as the building was worthless to anyone else.
I believe they used it as a training site for asbestos removal so ended up with a clean building that was worth something.’

Former long-term site owners Emma Property Management christened the building ‘Bendigo’ after St Ann’s bare-knuckle fighter William ‘Bendigo’ Thompson whose memorial is situated nearby in St Mary’s Rest Gardens. Thompson went undefeated for 23 fights during his career which spanned from 1825 until 1850.

Current plans submitted by new owners Godwin Developments will see it demolished and replaced with a 692-bed student accommodation block.

Didn’t really know what to expect inside but it was unfortunately just a big stripped concrete shell – which in retrospect was obviously going to be the case based on the above comments.

Roof was quite a chilled spot

Basement levels and underground carpark

The so-called ‘ugliest building in Nottingham’ although I’m not entirely sure the enormous, towering student accommodation it’ll be replaced with will age much better...

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Great views. I was looking to see if you could see Meadow Lane from there. Sadly not. But still great view out. If a pigeon can shit there it will ;)

Snowhead

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Brings back memories.
Presumably the strong room on the top floor Bath St side has long gone?

And I think I've seen posted before that the sub basement on Brook St side where the boilers and oil tanks used to be is flooded, that'll be the brook that Brook St is named after.

MotionlessMike

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Brings back memories.
Presumably the strong room on the top floor Bath St side has long gone?

And I think I've seen posted before that the sub basement on Brook St side where the boilers and oil tanks used to be is flooded, that'll be the brook that Brook St is named after.

Yeah, totally gone on the upper floors from what I saw.

Didn't look too hard in a chunk of the lower basement as the electric was still on for something and was making a not very inviting fizzing noise in one soaking wet area, so I could've missed that tbh

bob_ross_5522

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
hi, found an entrance on the side with the car park, but there is a 4m drop the other side, was wondering if you took a similar point of entry or if easier options exist

was thinking it would be possible with a short length of rope/chord

many thanks

Parysperspective

A peach, a nice welcoming peach
Banned
I Tried a couple of time last year to do this to no success. I only wanted to do it coz I worked for RM. But now they made me redundant I’m in a mood with them so I don’t wanna go in this. Being a pathetic moody child. :lol

Who has read this thread (Total: 334) View details