real time web analytics
Report - - Royal Marines Deep Refuge Part 2: Upstairs, Chatham, Kent, April 2017 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Royal Marines Deep Refuge Part 2: Upstairs, Chatham, Kent, April 2017

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Jorwal

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Last month I went down to the Refuge, and when we got to the stairs that lead to the upper levels we thought "fuck that", but it's been bugging me ever since and I just had to get down there, so I got a small group together and we descended down one final time, and getting to the upper level is definitely worth the risk. We left the very top floor as there were literally no stairs on the staircase for one, and it doesn't look like there's much up there. Pretty gutted that people have taken some of the red oil lamps/ciggy packets and other stuff home with them, but most of the stuffs still there.

I'll keep it short form here on (most people are here for the pictures anyway), but if you do go down here don't be put off by the condition of the stairs; it's well worth it ;) Without any further ado, here ya go:

This is the door to the main attraction
IMG_0706.jpg

This is what I wanted to see in the flesh as I love finding industrial stuff, it's basically the main fan for the vent system.
IMG_0743.jpg

This is one of the walkways on the upper level, all decaying wooden stuff
IMG_0729.jpg

Someone probably took refuge during bombings with their bike back when the tunnels were in use
IMG_0728.jpg

More decaying wooden stuff similar to that of the ground floor
IMG_0727.jpg

What looks like an old wine rack and an old cigarette packet
IMG_0723.jpg

To get to what used to be the main entrance you have to crawl through another hole in a wall (smaller than the bottom floor one and more rubble on the floor)
IMG_0698.jpg

And here's what was the main entrance which was on a pretty steep slope, and a cool breeze was coming through the holes in the wall, so the torches were dimmed and we resorted to whispering because we didn't know if anyone was on the other side and didn't fancy being greeted down there by ambulance crews and search and rescue (sorry about the image quality, had to Photoshop the brightness up because of the circumstances).
IMG_0720.jpg

Some sort of foundation/support solution
IMG_0703.jpg

A door to a safe? Your guess is as good as mine
IMG_0700.jpg

Some sort of mold/web that looked pretty cool
IMG_0694.jpg

Rusty chain still holding its cargo well
IMG_0690.jpg

Another way in (even more obvious than the open one), under lock and key this time though
IMG_0677.jpg

Tried to keep it short and sweet :) Upon exiting we were greeted by PC Plod & his mate who started questioning us whilst we had all of our masks/head torches still on, and we told them we met up for a beer (at 3am, yes) and they went on their merry way, even though it was pretty obvious what we were up to and where we had been, so a nice adrenaline rush to end the adventure

Thanks for having a read, I'll try to post more of my explores :)

Rilez

28DL Member
28DL Member
First day on here ... I'm not asking for the way in ... But when I'm in the location is entrance beneath my feet or in front of me thanks ✌

myke

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
just blown up the photo I can see an on and off pushbutton at the top shame I carnt make out the logo as there will be a stock image of this somewhere.