real time web analytics
Report - - Royal Navy Diving & Animal Testing Facility - Hampshire - November 2021 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Royal Navy Diving & Animal Testing Facility - Hampshire - November 2021

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

UrbexBee20

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
History of the Royal Navy Diving & Animal Testing Facility

The Ministry of Defence is considering abandoning deep-diving experiments which induce agonising decompression sickness in live goats after complaints from animal rights groups.

Live testing was suspended in March 2007 and a review committee of six experts is now examining alternatives such as computer-modelling techniques to duplicate the effects of "the bends" - the often lethal effect of nitrogen bubbles in the bloodstream.

The tests, previously carried out by defence research company QinetiQ at a facility in Gosport, involve subjecting goats to various pressures in a hyperbaric chamber.

The results are used to help improve escape drills and equipment for Royal Navy personnel in case a submarine is stranded on the seabed.

The effects of decompression sickness, brought on by rising too quickly to the surface from the intense pressure encountered at depth, include joint pain, visual disturbances, loss of balance, breathing difficulties, paralysis and death. The animals which survived initial tests at Gosport were often used in a series of painful experiments for up to five years before being culled and undergoing post-mortem examination of their spinal cords and brain tissue.

Goats were used because their respiratory physiology closely resembles that of humans.

Hyperbaric tests with goats have been conducted since 1905. Critics say that the data collected from thousands of experiments over more than a century should be more than sufficient to justify ending live testing and provide a base for computer simulations.

The French navy has already abandoned its own live-test programme in favour of more humane methods.

An MoD spokesman confirmed: "A number of studies reviewing the need for further use of goats in this research programme are currently being undertaken.

"These studies take into account the MoD's duty of care to sustain the health and welfare of submarine crews and to provide them with the ability to operate safely and effectively.

"The teams are investigating a range of options for submarine escape and rescue, and life support, including and excluding animal experimentation. Any plans for further experiments using goats are subject to the findings of this review."

A spokesman for the Animal Liberation Front said: "We call on QinetiQ to halt these experiments and hand all surviving animals over to suitable animal protection groups."

Exploring Royal Navy Diving & Animal Testing Facility

Really easy explore, spent about an hour and a half or so here. There are quite a few buildings to get around and unfortunately I wasn't able to post all the photo's I took, as it only allows 30! Most of the buildings didn't have much in other than the standard toilet, kitchen and one of the building had cages in it which was awful. There was also a cage washroom where they washed the goats and there was what looked like stained blood in the bottom of the sink.

We found the pool which was taken over by greenery and algae and was also filled with rubbish and parts of the ceiling where it had fallen in. The roof was caved in and you can stand on the ground, first and second floor and look right through the floors where it is all open although the second floor was a little sketchy but solid. There was also a room which was filled with rubbish bags. There were notice boards about the goats feeding times etc. and each caged area had a notice board outside with writing on numbering each goat and stating the colour collar they should have.

I believe there was also a bunker of some sort on the grounds which was pretty cool.

Went in, explored and got out fine, no security and couldn't see any cameras. Also managed to catch the sun setting whilst we were there which was an added bonus!

Please enjoy the photos :)

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
'Proper' name should be QinetiQ Alverstoke ;)

The big holes in the floor and the roof were from the hypobaric chambers being removed through the top of the building when it closed.

See this pop up a few times on FB groups. Was not quite sure if to believe it about the goats.

The goats were used as stand ins for humans as their internal physiology is very similar, it's very much the case they were used for pressure tests rather than human subjects. There's another building on site which I don't think is photographed here with the pens and a dissection room and other 'clean' type rooms for dissection work.

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User

The big holes in the floor and the roof were from the hypobaric chambers being removed through the top of the building when it closed.

The goats were used as stand ins for humans as their internal physiology is very similar, it's very much the case they were used for pressure tests rather than human subjects. There's another building on site which I don't think is photographed here with the pens and a dissection room and other 'clean' type rooms for dissection work.
I am surprised the navy can get away with such tests in today's climate. Sounds like what I was reading in the report they are going too thankfully.

UrbexBee20

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

I believe that's right, i have about 60 something photos I wanted to upload but it only allows 30 , the wash room was probably one of the worst rooms there I think but mainly because of the blood and stuff still in the sink.

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
I believe that's right, i have about 60 something photos I wanted to upload but it only allows 30 , the wash room was probably one of the worst rooms there I think but mainly because of the blood and stuff still in the sink.
You can upload more pics in a reply. Just put continued at the bottom of your report then carry on with the reply which allows another thirty. It's what most do if covering a large site. All forums have different upload limits. Some can be like ten and others unlimited.

UrbexBee20

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
You can upload more pics in a reply. Just put continued at the bottom of your report then carry on with the reply which allows another thirty. It's what most do if covering a large site. All forums have different upload limits. Some can be like ten and others unlimited.
Thanks for letting me know! I didnt even think of that, I'll upload more later

A man called Martyn

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

Prior to being Privatised it was the Royal Navy Physiological Laboratory (RNPL)

Ordnance

Stay Safe
Staff member
As stated in Post one the MoD & RN Suspended such tests in 2007 (14 years ago) and I doubt if they will restart in current climates.

What puzzles me is Primates (i.e. Chimpanzees) more closely resemble humans in physiology, so why use goats in the first place?

Who has read this thread (Total: 633) View details