real time web analytics
Report - - Royalty Cinema, Harborne - July 2015 | Theatres and Cinemas | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Royalty Cinema, Harborne - July 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

GRONK

Useful Idiot
Regular User
Pic Heavy

The final stop on my tour around the Black Country, the Royalty Cinema is located in Harborne, Birmingham. It is a multi level cinema has was converted into a Bingo Hall. It is currently empty with no certain future in sight. The Cinemas former car park now plays host to an eastern European Carwash. The seating on the ground floor has all been removed with a fake flat floor being installed at the time of conversion into a Bingo Hall, however some parts have been removed and you can see the sloped floor and the markings left behind by the seating. The balcony area has had the first 10 (or so) rows of seats removed and a level floor installed. However a lot of the original seating still remains on this level. The buildings last occupants were Gala Bingo who closed the building for the last time in 2010. Then in November 2012 police raided the building removing 40 cannabis plants from the attic area.

IMG_6357.JPG

Located in the Harborne district of southwest Birmingham, at the corner of High Street and Greenfield Road. The Royalty Cinema was opened on 20th October 1930 with Maurice Chevalier in "The Love Parade". It was built for and operated by the local independent Selly Oak Pictures Ltd.

The Royalty Cinema was taken over by the Associated British Cinemas(ABC) chain in March 1935. ABC closed the cinema on 2nd November 1963 with Cliff Robertson in "P.T.109". It was converted into a Mecca Bingo Club, and in 2010 it is operating as a Gala Bingo Club.

In the summer of 2011, the Royalty Cinema was designated a Grade II Listed building by English Heritage.

IMG_6146.JPG

IMG_6150.JPG

IMG_6158.JPG

IMG_6163.JPG

IMG_6133.JPG

IMG_6178.JPG

IMG_6167.JPG

IMG_6155.JPG

IMG_6190.JPG

IMG_6320.JPG

IMG_6271.JPG

IMG_6194.JPG

IMG_6334.JPG

IMG_6224.JPG

IMG_6330.JPG

IMG_6318.JPG

IMG_6174.JPG

IMG_6182.JPG

IMG_6254.JPG

Speed

Got Epic?
Regular User
Everyone just asks the car wash guys to go in now. Rather takes the fun out of it!

BrainL

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
If they are about next time I am down there I might get a little wash myself, not the full platinum valet though haha :)