real time web analytics
Report (Permission Visit) - 'Rubryka' Transmission Center – Belarus, May 2014 | European and International Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report (Permission Visit) 'Rubryka' Transmission Center – Belarus, May 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Adi_Cherryson

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hello,
this is my first post here. As a kind of introduction I'd like to present you former Soviet transmission center, codename 'Rubryka' ('Рубрика'). It literally means 'rubric' or 'heading'.

The complex is not operating anymore, but remains under control of Belorussian government. However I managed to contact with owners and they agreed me to visit it.

Rubryka is hidden somewhere in Biełowieża Forest, about 30 km from Polish-Belorussian (former Polish-Soviet) border.

Not much is known about the history of the complex. It was built in 1968-71 and was operating until 1991. The purpose was to maintain communication with Soviet troops operating in other countries of the Warsaw Pact: Poland, Czechoslovakia, DDR, even Cuba.

443.jpg

444.jpg

Three diesel engines (~500 kW each) were providing electrical energy

448.jpg

446.jpg

Ventilation system

447.jpg

454.jpg

Control panel – the heart of the complex

445.jpg

450.jpg

The guard told me quite much about how this object was working, but sadly I didn't understand many of these details. My Russian is not enough to fully understand specific technical/engineering vocabulary.

451.jpg

Fresh air tanks. This place could operate in full isolation mode. Stored air was enough for 300 people for 3 days.

452.jpg

Transmission center

453.jpg

449.jpg

The complex remains closed and guarded. There were plans to transform it into a museum, but due to complicated legal status they didn't succeed.

Who has read this thread (Total: 6) View details