real time web analytics
Report - - Ruins of Saint Wandregesilius Church, Bixley, August 2020 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Ruins of Saint Wandregesilius Church, Bixley, August 2020

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

AlternativeAdventuring

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
The parish church at Bixley dates back to 1272 which can really be seen in what remains of the structure (for all you History buffs who love a bit of religious architecture!)

It was the only church in the country to be dedicated to the French abbot, Saint Wandrille, with the name Wandregesilius being a Latin take on the French Saints name. The church suffered an arson attack back in 2004 and has since become progressively more and more dangerous and overrun by nature.

Interestingly, nearby to the church there are remains of an old deserted medieval village so as you can imagine, little old Bixley is quite steeped in History!

I had seen a few videos of this place and seen people go up the Church’s tower and that’s something that really motivated me to go and check it out. Unfortunately, on the day I went it was very damp and it being the summer, very overgrown. A lot of the floor of the church had caved in, probably due to damage from the fire and years of abandonment. It was really difficult in places to know whether you were standing on what floor remained, or just precariously balancing on a tree branch.

That day, there was no chance I was getting to that tower but it was still a really nice little explore. I didn’t take a lot of photos due to the rain making things a bit tricky which I really regret! I’d like to think if I’m ever going back that way I will take five minutes out of my day to go back and give it another shot. But for now, here is what I have!

Not much I know, but I liked it and would recommend others go and check it out if they are ever in the area!

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Short & sweet. I do like these kind of explores if they are not National Heritage, only because I see National Heritage as tourism . Lovely shots there, what a shame re the weather and fires.