real time web analytics
Report - - Rumbelow Culvert, Denby Dale - May 2018 | UK Draining Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Rumbelow Culvert, Denby Dale - May 2018

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

WB

28DL Wood Burner
28DL Full Member
Good Morning folks, its been a while since I did any reports on here... life got busy, I got married and we moved house away from Sheffield... but that just means new drain exploring territory.

@tarkovsky set the ball rolling with some messages about Blackburn brook and that got me curious as to what there was around my new 'hood.

So as the story goes, me and the Mrs. were enjoying a Sunday walk through Denby Dale and I spotted an outfall and the unmistakable smell of drains.

I had to go back and check it out.

This culvert runs for approximately 300 meters beneath a factory before heading out into the woods to join the upper end of the river Dearne, as far as I'm aware this is the most upstream section of culvert on the Dearne, although there are at least another 3 or 4 sections downstream that I mean to visit at a later date.

Anyway, enough of that, on with the pictures from outfall end to when I got bored of concrete box.

Stone built floor with concrete roof and walls.

IMG_0006.JPG

This bit was really photogenic, and appears to be the original construction of the culvert with concrete slabs placed over it.
IMG_0002.JPG

IMG_0003.JPG

IMG_0004.JPG

Beyond here it turned into concrete box as far as I could see and I was going solo. There were some ominous rumblings (hence the name) coming from upstream so I decided to bail.
IMG_0001.JPG

IMG_0005.JPG

I'll be back to do this properly when i've recruited a drain partner. Thanks for looking!

WB.

tarkovsky

SWC
Regular User
Brilliant. Bloody brilliant! This is why I love 28days - great to see a new report from you and this defo looks like it needs further investigation!

Reactions: WB

WB

28DL Wood Burner
28DL Full Member
Cheers pal, this definitely needs a bit more work. It carries on after the concrete with more stone goodness. PM Me if you want to go for a look!

tweek

SNC/SWC
Regular User
Thanks for yesterday, a lovely little scenic ramble.

I have to say, I didn't expect it to be as substantial as it turned out to be. The section under Springfield Mill has given me a bad back, mind.

WB

28DL Wood Burner
28DL Full Member
Thanks for yesterday, a lovely little scenic ramble.
I have to say, I didn't expect it to be as substantial as it turned out to be. The section under Springfield Mill has given me a bad back, mind.

No worries, was a lot bigger than I expected too and there is still the section under the cricket pitch and further down in Scissett to do.

I'm unlikely to ever do that section under Springfield Mill ever again, but can see why it floods... that box section culvert not only fucks your back, its not big enough for the flood flow!

tarkovsky

SWC
Regular User
Yep good to meet you both and enjoyed the whole thing, even the sto0p. No back repercussions here, thankfull. I’ll put pics up at some point...

obscurity

Flaxenation of the G!!!
Regular User
Good to see you back here WB :thumb and nice find on your new turf too. the stone walls are a nice feature.

WB

28DL Wood Burner
28DL Full Member
Good to see you back here WB :thumb and nice find on your new turf too. the stone walls are a nice feature.

Cheers, its a lot bigger inside than the outfall makes it look. We went back last night for a much longer visit and I have some more pics that I'll upload later.

WB

28DL Wood Burner
28DL Full Member
More better quality pics from downstream end to upstream in order. We did go and check out the lower culvert sections but unfortunately my Jpegger had battery fail so this is all I got...

IMG_0027.JPG
IMG_0023.JPG
IMG_0022.JPG
IMG_0021.JPG
IMG_0020.JPG
IMG_0019.JPG
IMG_0018.JPG
IMG_0017.JPG
IMG_0016.JPG
IMG_0014.JPG
IMG_0013.JPG
IMG_0012.JPG
IMG_0011.JPG
IMG_0010.JPG
IMG_0009.JPG
IMG_0007.JPG

tarkovsky

SWC
Regular User
Those are great photos out of that tiny camera. Except for the one spoilt by my knees. Apols for my knees.