real time web analytics
Report - - Rumbelow, Denby Dale May.18 | UK Draining Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Rumbelow, Denby Dale May.18

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Esoteric Eric

28DL Regular User
Regular User
After @WB recently discovered this culvert underneath a factory in Denby Dale me and @tarkovsky planned a meet up with @WB to see it through. In the end I couldn't make the arranged time so I set out solo earlier the same day, that way at least if I came to harm the lads could bury my body in the beck (it's what my loved ones would have wanted). I quickly discovered the source of rumbling when the culvert changed from concrete box to original brick lining with a small step providing a waterfall. The culvert is in two short sections with a possible third near the golf course but I got bored of walking up the open beck and climbed back up to the road.

The River Dearne reaches the A635 Barnsley Road bridge at Denby Dale. Below the bridge, the Munchcliffe Beck joins, and there is a large millpond, which supplied mills at Denby Dale.

In 1932 a typhoid outbreak killed 12 people in Denby Dale from contaminated water in Square Wood reservoir. Some years earlier water closests had been installed for houses at Quaker Bottom and the sewer drainage from these houses was made to discharge in to the Munchcliffe Beck.

Rumbelow, Denby Dale 1.JPG

Rumbelow, Denby Dale 2.JPG

Rumbelow, Denby Dale 3.JPG

Rumbelow, Denby Dale 4.JPG

Rumbelow, Denby Dale 5.JPG

Rumbelow, Denby Dale 6.JPG

Rumbelow, Denby Dale 7.JPG

Rumbelow, Denby Dale 8.JPG

Rumbelow, Denby Dale 9.JPG

Rumbelow, Denby Dale 10.JPG

Rumbelow, Denby Dale 11.JPG

Rumbelow, Denby Dale 12.JPG

Rumbelow, Denby Dale 13.JPG

Rumbelow, Denby Dale 14.JPG

Rumbelow, Denby Dale 15.JPG

Rumbelow, Denby Dale 16.JPG

Rumbelow, Denby Dale 17.JPG

WB

28DL Wood Burner
28DL Full Member
Nicely captured! Did you notice the two vents near the downstream entrance with a load of muck sprayed across the ceiling of the culvert? That wasn't there the first time I did it!

Esoteric Eric

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Nicely captured! Did you notice the two vents near the downstream entrance with a load of muck sprayed across the ceiling of the culvert? That wasn't there the first time I did it!

Yeah I saw those, I did think it was strange. Something to do with factory above perhaps.