real time web analytics
Report - - Runwell Hospital - Aug 2010 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Runwell Hospital - Aug 2010

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

The Lone Ranger

Safety is paramount!
Staff member
HISTORY

Runwell Hospital was operated by South Essex Partnership University NHS Foundation Trust until its final closure on 23 April 2010. From February 2008 until its closure, Runwell Hospital provided solely forensic mental health services in line with the trusts reprovision programme. The planned closure of the current Runwell Hospital, has lead to some services being reprovided at Rochford Hospital.

A more comprehensive history can be found here Runwell Hospital - Wikipedia

My visit

Thanks to a quick search on here I found a venue to explore while working down South, was hoping for something a bit more relaxing than Pyestock; which I visited the previous week and didn't have the best of times!

I hadn't read any reports so didn't really know what to expect, I was dissapointed when I first saw the buildings, it looked as if much of it was still in use so left my camera in my van and went for a wander. Big mistake as the vast majority of the site is now no longer in use, but still in a very good condition.

The following evening I returned; this time with my camera and a few buildings in mind to try try and explore - the boiler house had looked good.

Runwell Hospital

a-4.jpg

One of the many passage ways

a1-1.jpg

Another passage

a2-1.jpg

Time stood still (water damage to this building)

a4-1.jpg

The hardwood timber floors are excellent (again water damage to this area)

a3-1.jpg

Yet more passages (nice to photo though :-)

a5-1.jpg

Trashed skylight

a6-1.jpg

Bathtime reflections

a7-1.jpg

Main entertainment hall

a8-1.jpg

The film projection room

a9-1.jpg

An old record player in the projection room

a10.jpg

Redundant boiler house

a11.jpg

Alas, like much of the buildings I did not manage to access the boiler house. I realised at the end of my visit I had only scraped the surface of this site, and having now looked at the other reports can see what I was looking at through closed windows. Hopefully next time I'll find my way into a few more of the buildings :)