real time web analytics
Report - - Rutland Cutlery Co - Sheffield - Jan 2011 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Rutland Cutlery Co - Sheffield - Jan 2011

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Ric

темний Прип'ять
28DL Full Member
Hi Guys

Something i just stumbled across while looking into Cannons Brewery across the street, Dweeb covered this back in 2009 but i thought it was worth a look while i was there:

Some history
Rutland Cutlery Company was once part of the Osbome Tableware Group which included Nickle Blanks, Jessop and Smith, Beatson Drake and Classic Cutlery.

Osborne Tableware, the last of Sheffields high volume cutlery manufacturers went into administration just before it was to celebrate its 300th anniversary in January 2009 with the loss of over 70 jobs.

Varoius parts of the manufacuing process was undertaken by the separate companys. Nickel Blanks made the basic shape of the cutlery, Jessop and Smith forged knife blades, Beaston Drake made handles and assembled the components, Classic Cutlery polished and plated and Rutland Cutlery ground, sharpened and polished the blanks. All worked in unison to produce the famous Sheffield cutlery.

Osborne Tableware was acquired in September 2008 by local entrepreneurs David Kynman and Paul Coleclough. With plans to make sure the cutlery industry stayed within Sheffield, by bringing all the five companys together under one roof at Meadowhall. A new range of cutlery was designed to celebrate the tercentenary to be sold at Harrods and other well to do stores. Sadly they failed with the loss of 70 jobs. Talks to sell the company again came to nothing, the hope of securing the workforce with work died along with Sheffields world famous Cutlery production.

Overall a nice little find which i wasnt expecting however the time since Dweebs report has not been kind, the place was in a bit of state and no cutlery to be seen this time:

DSC_3274.jpg

Emergency exit down?

DSC_3255.jpg

DSC_3256.jpg

DSC_3262.jpg

DSC_3271.jpg

Glad i didnt see whatever this was to catch

DSC_3275.jpg

DSC_3276.jpg

DSC_3277.jpg

DSC_3296.jpg

DSC_3303.jpg

DSC_3306.jpg

DSC_3314.jpg

DSC_3321.jpg

Keeping somebody warm at one point, certainly not me!

Thanks for looking