real time web analytics
Report - - Ryehope Victorian Pumping Station April 2010 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Ryehope Victorian Pumping Station April 2010

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

emotive69

cloak of invisibility
28DL Full Member
Built in 1868 to supply water to the Sunderland area , ryehope pumping station closed in 1967 just short of its 100th birthday. The beam engines are still kept in use by volunteers and occasionally steamed for visitor days. We had a word with the owner ( a very nice man ) and he allowed us complete access to the site on a quiet day ( just us in ) took a few hours to do and is deceptively large , it has a great feel to it - being used gives it that grimey oily look and smell !

anyway the pics ...

The building is typically impressive victorian architecture , and far outclasses its little sister the Cherry Knowles Lunatic Asylum which still stands next door ! in a poor state

rye1.jpg

rye13.jpg

rye33.jpg

the intricate details inside is fantastic

rye2.jpg

rye3.jpg

rye12.jpg

rye15.jpg

rye16.jpg

rye17.jpg

rye19.jpg

rye20.jpg

rye21.jpg

rye22.jpg

rye23.jpg

rye25.jpg

rye26.jpg

rye27.jpg

rye28.jpg

rye31.jpg

rye32.jpg

and the size of some of the main machinery weighing in at 20 tonnes and pumping a million gallons of water a day !

rye7.jpg

rye9.jpg

rye14.jpg

rye18.jpg

rye24.jpg

rye30.jpg

an amazing place run by a great bunch of people , feel free to get in touch and get yourself down there , and dont forget to stick a few quid in the jar , its volunteers like these keep these great monuments alive for us to enjoy..

emotive69

Texeira

28DL Member
28DL Member
These pics look so cool. What film did you use for the top picture with the black clouds. It looks like it could be a location for a horror movie.

Cuuvin

28DL Colonial Member
28DL Full Member
Great pics but it's not really urbex as this place is a museum isn't it?

True that, but as a permission visit (getting somewhere that's not normally publicly accessible). Getting permission to have unfettered access to something that is this historical is not something that the general public has. So @emotive69 ... :thumb Ace explore, quality pics! :D

(PS quite a few are gonna make up onto my computer screen !:p)

(PPS DUH....post is six years old .... cracking, never the less!)

emotive69

cloak of invisibility
28DL Full Member
Thanks for the comments :) All the photos are DSLR no film just PS , and this was some years back so not sure what access is like now though i do believe they have a few open days each year , but there would be lots of people about.

JessicaMorris

28DL Member
28DL Member
Hello, I am new to your forum as of today.. I am from Alberta, Canada. I am really happy to be a member of this forum. thanks.