real time web analytics
Report - - Ryland mill | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Ryland mill

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Urbexexplorer

28DL Member
28DL Member
“In 1819, Rylands & Sons were established with their seat of operations being in Wigan.
John, the youngest partner, occupied himself with travelling over several counties for orders until 1823, when he opened a warehouse for the firm in Manchester. Business increased rapidly, and in the course of a few years extensive properties at Wigan, along with dye works and bleach works, were purchased. Valuable seams of coal were afterwards discovered under these properties, and proved a great source of wealth to the purchasers.
From 1847, John Rylands became sole proprietor of the company owing to the death of his father and retirement of his brothers around 1839. Designed by George Woodhouse in 1866, Rylands Mill was built and had served the local population for work until the overall demise of the textile industry had taken it’s toll across the country.
In 1985 it became an annexe to Wigan Technical College and became better known as the Pagefield Building until closure in 2007. The façade along the front was repointed and boasts some wonderful brick pattern work, this mill being the most expensive around at the time it was built. It is now on the top 10 endangered building list in the UK.”

I went in the other day and it has been totally destroyed by vandalism from what it looked liked on my first visit wich is about 6 months ago wich is disappointing as it is an amazing explore and the best section has been nocked down

Photos are from my first exploration

20200831_152009.jpg
20200831_152524.jpg

MK83

Wife and husband
28DL Full Member
Did you not get any pics of the inside? I did a quick revisit here a couple of months ago to see what state it's in these days. I was shocked at how badly trashed it is. There where some bellends smashing it up as I was looking round. Sadly they've concreted the entrance to the air raid shelter on the site as well.

Urbexexplorer

28DL Member
28DL Member
Did you not get any pics of the inside? I did a quick revisit here a couple of months ago to see what state it's in these days. I was shocked at how badly trashed it is. There where some bellends smashing it up as I was looking round.
Yes I did but sadly for some reason it was refusing to let me add them,so was I in such a short space of time it had me since my first visit just wish people didn't smash things up as I never got have looking in the section that has been knocked down and it had still had classroom with writing still on white bored and stuff and it was a great place to explore but people have to ruin it for others