Report - - Rylands Mill, Wigan - April 2016 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Rylands Mill, Wigan - April 2016


28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Visited with @GRONK

This building is in a bit of state. A lot of it is fire and water damaged although it is still quite solid and stable.
We spend around 4 hours there and still didn't manage to see everything.

Bit O' History
The mill was built in 1867, to designs by George Woodhouse for John Rylands, one of the area's largest cotton manufacturers. The Grade 2 listed complex includes the former spinning mill, weaving sheds and engine house with chimney.

Owned by John Rylands it replaced an earlier mill. Noted for it decorative brickwork in whirs and Staffordshire blue brick. In the original 1860's layout there were two 460HP twin cylinder J. Musgrave engines. They had 40in cylinders and a 6ft stroke running at 42rpm on steam at 80psi. The 19ft flywheel drove geared drives. This was converted in 1900 by Sharples to 140 psi triple expansion engine. It is thought that this was done when the mules were replaced by ring frames. In 1985 the building was converted to form a technical college, the building continued to be used as a college until its closure in 2007, when the college moved to smaller premises located about 1 mile away. Then in March 2015 emergency services were called to the building with reports of smoke bellowing from the roof, the fire was later blamed on local teenagers.

The building is now owned by MCR Property group, after it was sold by the college in 2009. MCR are in the process of planning to restore the mill building which will house a mixture of apartments with views over Mesnes Park. The development will also comprise of a number of modern townhouses and office space over 4 levels.























Similar threads