Web
Analytics
Report - - Sale Short tunnel, Manchester - June 09 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Sale Short tunnel, Manchester - June 09

concreteJungle

28DL Regular User
Regular User
There's allot to be said for walking about during your lunch hour. Found this whilst doing so near Sale, what looked like a canal overflow drew my attention and found the tunnel access. Had a quick reccie down there but was in a suit, so returned later in better attire.

I dropped down inbetween two tunnel arches:
IMG_0815.jpg

The tunnel has a pipe along it's length, which discharged into a small sump:
IMG_0818_2.jpg

There was a lot of debris under the entrance, and a junction where a small pipe joined the main one:
canal_culvert.jpg

The tunnel continued under the tramline for about 15m (looking back):
IMG_0799.jpg

After a manhole shaft the tunnel was bricked up, with a smaller semi filled in tunnel in the center:
IMG_0811.jpg

IMG_0801_2.jpg

IMG_0803.jpg

I can't figure out the original purpose of the tunnel, being so close to the canal overflow I first thought it was the overflow culvert. The sump could lead down to a culvert which actually is the overflow channel. Maybe the tunnel once lead somewhere else but it was blocked off and used for the drainage pipe. I ramble. Anyway a good random find!:D

J

jonno22

i thoroughly enjoyed the images and the commentary, well done. A lunch hour well spent even if you did not have time to have you 'lunch' hehe. Did you take your suit in for a dry - clean that night or was it ok haha?

Best Regards

Jonathan McGurk

Railway and Freelance Photographer

www.jonathanmcgurk.fotopic.net

concreteJungle

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Thanks for the comments! The suit came through pretty unscathed actually, Fridays are dress down, so had a better look and took the photos then. There's some interesting looking manholes around there too, don't think I'd get away with going back in smelling culvert fresh though!