real time web analytics
Report - - Salem Methodist Chapel - Arthog - February 2015 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Salem Methodist Chapel - Arthog - February 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

The Lone Ranger

Safety is paramount!
Staff member
Salem Methodist Chapel (Wesleyan), Arthog.

1_zpsvy1l96ex.jpg

Well where else to end up on a Sunday stroll but a derelict Welsh Chapel; in all fairness I was spoilt with choice in this area. Every village seemed to have a derelict church or chapel, sometimes both, this is probably down to many of the cottages now being holiday homes so the demand is no longer there or they didn’t know when to stop building them 150 years ago?

Due to the death of my trusty Tamron wide angle lens I have ended up stitching a few photos together resulting in some unusual shapes, you forget how easy it is with a 10mm lens. Mind you I have thought of stitching images inside buildings before.

History

Salem Methodist Chapel was built in 1833 and rebuilt in 1868 in the Gothic syle of the gable-entry type, by architect Thomas Thomas of Landore. Salem closed in 1973 and has remained disused to date.

This old chapel is in a very sorry state. Apparently the owner resides abroad where a bill for maybe a quarter of a million pounds cannot be slapped on him. The bill is for the recent retaining walls and other works over the years to make the structure safe to passing motorists and local residents.

Apparently it has been assessed and surveyed and is deemed likely to collapse in on itself if it does go.

My Visit

A pleasant enough stroll, the obvious way in wasn’t due to a large noisy dog and an old couple twitching curtains. Been a bit since I did a report in black and white and since most of the insides of the chapel was black, white and grey seemed an appropriate time to do one again.

Not much to say, more in and out plus a visit to the hole in the roof.

3_zpsgsewdmwb.jpg

Remains of the Alter.

4_zps3fsrrraw.jpg

What’s left of the small piano.

5_zpsoblahjsi.jpg

6_zpszv4nuzwk.jpg

2_zpszvgfvmn0.jpg

7_zpsuiigpxtd.jpg

8_zps4nga6mgv.jpg

Final one through one of the holes in the roof.

9_zpsbjdg8xfa.jpg

A nice enough stroll, and first time I’ve been to church for a year or two.

Cheers,

TLR.​