real time web analytics
Report - - Salford Baths, 18/02/07 | Leisure Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Salford Baths, 18/02/07

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

R

romanian1

The first venue on the manchester explore was intended to be boddingtons but on arrival we noticed a gang of unsavoury looking chavs and decided to try elsewhere eith the intention of coming back, which unfortunately we never did.

Anyway, thanks to lillimouse for pointing this place out in the leads forum, its in a very bad state indeed but worth a look nevertheless.

Also worth a quick mention before i start is within five minutes of meeting damon id managed to injure him and nearly total his car, sorry mate.

Anyway, salford baths, i'll leave gaps to allow the others to post their shots too, hence you wont be seeing the pool itself in my pics.

The full party was:myself, Gibbo, Gazza,Damon,Userscott and his ladyfriend.

DSCF0587.jpg

DSCF0553.jpg

DSCF0560.jpg

DSCF0569.jpg

DSCF0573.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Damon

Re: Salford baths-Report-18/02/07

oh no yet another couple of months of Damon Whining about an "injury" lol.

Twas but a scratch. :gay

Well I had typed a nice long post with history of the site, the architect etc, but lost the fucking lot when I accidentally clicked a link. So bugger it, here's some pics. :mad:

Switches.jpg

Gables.jpg

Beams.jpg

Gang.jpg

Stairs.jpg

Gable2.jpg

C

cass

I thought I'd add some of my lot to the collection here, a small debut of sorts (though undoubtedly not one of the best you will see). Forgive the image quality, these were just preliminary prints and I was packing 3200 ISO (shot at 1600)- I always assume manchester is going to be overcast. Also, the scanner did some not very nice things to the contrast of them. :(

Just some of the ones I liked the most:

entrance.png

The only route up, plus the corner of the smaller of the baths:

stairs.png

In the pool:

metalpillar.png

Top of the stairs...and about as far as I could get before my legs turned to jelly:

upstairshall.png

Second room:

roofbeams.png

Hope they're not too bad, though possibly not the usual quality you guys are used to.

Thank you all for an awesome day exploring!! It was a beautiful building, I just wish I'd had the guts to go upstairs...but after seeing that main beam bow under scotts weight I couldn't even bare to watch.

D

Damon

Right then, lets try again.

Greengate Baths was designed by renowned local architect Thomas Worthington, who was also responsible for the Albert Memorial, Minshull Street Crown Court, Chorlton Union Workhouse (Withington Hospital), Prestwich Union Infirmary (Crumpsall Hospital) and a damn sight more besides.

The newly formed Manchester and Salford Baths & Laundry Corporation financed the build in 1855 as their initial business venture. Greengate was one of the first "modern" swimming baths. It was considered such a success that they would go on to open further sites, including the more well known Victoria Baths on Hathersage Road.

Greengate baths was founded on the original site of the Salford Union Workhouse and opened in 1856. The initial success felt was unfortunately shortlived, as the rising price of coal combined with local poverty and rising unemployment took its toll. By the time the climate changed however, rival companies were sprouting up and Greengate never really echoed its initial successes. Unfortunately, I can't find any info on when the baths finally closed.

Over half the original building was demolished to make way for Trinity Way. What remains is Grade II listed and on the English Heritage Buildings At Risk Register.