Web
Analytics
Report - - Salve Mater - August 2012 [BE] | European and International Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Salve Mater - August 2012 [BE]



sQualie

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
#1
We drove to Salve on a Sunday morning, thinking we could sneak in and take pictures without having to pay or barter with the photographer that uses the site. Of course we arrive to find that there is a nude photography seminar underway with photographers and models everywhere. After a quick chat with the photographer and some negotiating with one of his assistants, we are allowed to take a few pictures inside the Sint-Paulus building while the seminar takes a 2h lunch break.

For those who don't know, here's a little history on this location (and photos of course):

The Lovenjoel Great Park was given to the Catholic University of Liège by the Spoeberch family who allowed the Sister of Charity of Ghent to build a psychiatric institution for mentally ill women. Built by architect Joseph Hachez, it was on June 29th 1927 that the first two building (administration and Sancta Maria) where inaugurated by Queen Elizabeth of Belgium, wife of King Albert, in the presence of many political, church and university dignitaries. The purpose of the Salve Mater was to promote modern study of psychology, headed at the time by Dr Fernand d’Hollander (1926 - 1952), then followed by Charles Rouvroy (1952 - 1967). After the death of Dr Rouvroy, the institute became bilingual with the French pavilion directed by Pr Pierre Guilmot (1967 - 1974) and the Dutch by Dr Gerard Buyse (1967 - 1989). At it’s peak, the centre could house approximately 800 patients.

The Salve Mater Institute (SMI), was one of the first to use narcoleptics in 1952. This had the immediate effect of controlling seizures and bouts of agitation or aggression, reducing restraints for dozens of chronically ill patients whose delirium had lasted for ten to twenty years. These patients were finally able to leave the institute, initially for a trial period, then definitely. In 1958, doctors of SMI were the first in Europe to use Tofranil (antidepressant medication) and decided to stop such treatments as electric shocks.

Early 1970s, the entire psychiatric institute was transferred to the University Clinic in Woluwé-St-Lambert and the buildings given back to the Catholic University of Liège. Most buildings where left to abandon, with the exception of the administration building which includes the chapel and convent.

Full set can be viewed on Flickr

1.
7942781246_1322706620_z.jpg


2.
7942779938_024c14d2b4_z.jpg


3.
7942779458_72bb2cea72_c.jpg


4.
7947053744_421d4c1a3e_c.jpg


5.
7953068192_e966ba3846_c.jpg