real time web analytics
Report - - Sanatorium Du Basil, Liège - Jan 2019 | European and International Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Sanatorium Du Basil, Liège - Jan 2019

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

TeunM

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hey all! So here it is. The report you have all been eagerly awaiting. My very first report!
A friend of mine and I have been trying to match our schedules for a while and when the day was there we rushed out to Liège to the well known Sanatorium Du Basil. The Sanatorium itself is a beautiful building as a whole but unfortunately, the inside is completely trashed and nearly all windows are either smashed or cracked. Furthermore, upon arrival, the first thing that caught our eye were three other cars also parked here. We were not alone. This is of course not unimaginable since the location can be found by simply typing it in your search bar, but nevertheless, this was a little disappointing.
The entrance was a simple walk in and there was no security whatsoever.

Some history:
The construction of the building was started around 1900 as commissioned by Ernest Malvoz. Three years later the first tuberculosis patients were taken into care here. After about 70 years tuberculosis patients became increasingly rare and it was eventually used as a facility to supply asylum seekers (not sure if this is the correct English terminology) with a roof above their heads. Since 2013 it has been abandoned and after a couple years of being up for sale it was completely given up and has fallen into ruins.
The location was specifically chosen based on the clean refreshing mountain air and the stimuli lacking environment. The building was also oriented towards the sun so that patients got the most out of the daily sunlight. This would also help the recovery of the patients.

Please enjoy :)

I wasn't able to upload the panorama's I had of the front as well as the back of the building since it keeps saying the files are too large even though they are only 5 mb each.

BeastsVoorGebouw.jpg

DoorKapotRaampje.jpg

HDR top floor.jpg

IMG_0691.JPG

KapoetRaam.jpg

Kerktorentje.jpg

mistigZijkant.jpg

OutsideHDR.JPG

TweeTowers.jpg

UitOfWindow.jpg

ViewTopFloor.jpg

TeunM

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
unique place, would of liked to seen more inside shots
I do have a couple of inside shots but its all either empty rooms or broken toilet bowls so i thought it wouldn't be very interesting

Yorrick

A fellow of infinite jest
28DL Full Member
What a gorgeous building!

I do have a couple of inside shots but its all either empty rooms or broken toilet bowls

Post a few. Nothing personal here, just quoting forum mantra, but without internals it's not exploring, it's just going for a walk.

TeunM

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I do have a couple of inside shots but its all either empty rooms or broken toilet bowls so i thought it wouldn't be very interesting
Here are some of the insides :) Not my proudest shots but I forgive myself
What a gorgeous building!

Post a few. Nothing personal here, just quoting forum mantra, but without internals it's not exploring, it's just going for a walk.
Okay so for some reason i can not find the other insides i've put in a specific folder in that folder... I'll do some more looking around and as soon as i find 'em you'll get them :)

IMG_0675.JPG

IMG_0680.JPG

IMG_0681.JPG

IMG_0696.JPG

IMG_20190126_123145.jpg

Last edited:

HughieD

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Good way to make your debut. Really liked this place when I went last year. But like you say - pretty from the outside.