real time web analytics
Report - - Sandonia Cinema, Stafford, June 2021 | Theatres and Cinemas | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Sandonia Cinema, Stafford, June 2021

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Shaun

28DL Regular User
28DL Full Member
History:
Located quite a distance away to the north of Stafford town centre. The Sandonia Kinema & Theatre was opened on 20th November 1920 with a stage production of “Chu Chin Chow”. The first film to be screened was Leslie Henson in “Alf’s Button” on 27th November 1920.

The facade of the building is attractively decorated in white stone, with the name ‘Sandonia’ in the stonework over the entrance. Inside the extremely long and narrow auditorium, seating was located in stalls and circle levels. The cinema had a fully equipped stage, complete with a large fly tower for scenery. The distance from the projection box to the screen was a 110 feet throw.

Unfortunately, the Sandonia Cinema was not a great success, and it was closed in early-1923. It was sold to Messrs Goodalls, and re-opened on 5th March 1923 with “Anton Stewart in "Plaything of Destiny” and Al. St. John in “Village Sheik”.

In 1930, it became part of the small local Stafford Entertainments Ltd. chain. The last silent film to be screened was “The Silent House” on 16th August 1930. A BTH sound system was installed and the first talkie was Janet Gaynor in “Sunny Side Up” on 18th August 1930.

The Sandonia Cinema was equipped with CinemaScope on 8th June 1957 when Robert Wagner in “Between Heaven and Hell” became the first film in this process to be screened at the cinema. The Sandonia Cinema was closed on 26th September 1963 with Sophia Loren in “Madame” and Kent Taylor in “The Day Mars Invaded Earth”.

The building was sold to a Wolverhampton company who re-opened it as an independent bingo club. Later operated as a Coral Bingo Club, bingo ceased in 1990, and it became a snooker club. The projectors were removed from the building in 1991 and sold to a private collector. The snooker club operated until the early-2000’s. Since then, it has stood empty and unused.

in more recent history the site has now been partially demolished a few weeks after my visit. It was stopped quickly after the council were notified to knowledge.. (https://www.inyourarea.co.uk/news/s...-stafford-after-cinema-demolition-was-halted/)

Explore
After watching Rugeley Power station getting blown to bits I stopped to do a few local bits. After suspecting i would fail here I was presently supprised with a bit of a climb and luck access was doable and we was in. It was good to see the building whole and I haven't seen any pre-demolition pics from this year so it'll be a bit of a comparison in that part. The building is in bad shape with the section behind the stage a deathtrap, Wonder if it went with the demo.
1630879598843.jpg

An external from @raisinwing's report Due to frontage being covered in Scaffolding with my visit.
There great report here: https://www.28dayslater.co.uk/threads/sandonia-cinema-stafford-october-2019.121842/

Attachments

• DSC_1021_1.jpg
    DSC_1021_1.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 31

Redavni Ecaps

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Whoever bought this and turned it into a snooker club is an idiot.
It should be taken from them and restored to its former self, if I had the money I would slap them in they face with a chilled kipper and do it myself.
Saddens me to see such a waste of a lovely looking building.

Bikin Glynn

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Whoever bought this and turned it into a snooker club is an idiot.
It should be taken from them and restored to its former self, if I had the money I would slap them in they face with a chilled kipper and do it myself.
Saddens me to see such a waste of a lovely looking building.

not as much an idiot as the one who tried to knocked it down!

Who has read this thread (Total: 346) View details