real time web analytics
Report - - Sands Quarry, Wiltshire 12/11/08 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Sands Quarry, Wiltshire 12/11/08

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Rookinella

I should have danced all night
28DL Full Member
Visited with Rooty and Scott yesterday after being at a loose end as what to do that day. I've been to Sands before but never took any photos so this was the ideal opportunity to get my camera out and use my tripod for once.

I checked out its history on Nettleden http://www.chocolatechipdesign.co.uk/nettleden/sandsquarry/index.shtml

Sands is a fairly small quarry connecting to the Southern end of Spring Quarry, it is only about 4.6 square miles. Sands is used as an emergency exit. Refelctive metal check points guide the way from the Spring Quarry emergency exit to surface slope shaft of Sands Quarry lit only be a torch light.

The Bath and Portland Stone company started quarrying Bath stone in 1890. Quarrying stop in 1912 and the quarry had very little use since this date. Along with the rest of the Corsham quarries, it was requisitioned by the War Department during the Second World War.

Very little conversion was carried out in the quarry by the War Department this was because it was only used as an emergency exit. Sands joins to the lower part of Spring Quarry which was at the time an underground aircraft factory. Reflected arch ways and torch points were installed leading people, in an emergency to the surface.

Here's the photos,

DSC_0002-1.jpg

DSC_0004-1.jpg

DSC_0005.jpg

DSC_0006.jpg

DSC_0007-1.jpg

DSC_0008-2.jpg

DSC_0009.jpg

DSC_0010.jpg

DSC_0011.jpg

DSC_0014-1.jpg

DSC_0019-1.jpg

DSC_0021.jpg

DSC_0023.jpg

DSC_0024-1.jpg

DSC_0025.jpg

lesbub

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Re: Sands Quarry, Wiltshire 12/11/08 REPORT

You didn't attempt going through the bricked up doorway then? ;)
Nice pics!

REEF

Getthegirlkillthebaddies
28DL Full Member

cool, need to get back to Wiltshire.......

Maidstone Trooper

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

Nice addition, this place is very much on my Wiltshire "todo" list, and it seems to be rare to see pics. Thanks for adding.

rigsby

Chatbox Mong
28DL Full Member

Cool the slope shaft reminds me of the one at Ridge.

Budice

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

Looks good, very clean and tidy. Wish i could write like that, it's great