real time web analytics
General - - Sandsend and Kettleness Tunnels | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

General - Sandsend and Kettleness Tunnels

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

JordanT92

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hi, Im new to the forum though I've know about this site for a number of years now.

Recently I took two trips to Sandsend and Kettleness Tunnels and using different cameras and techniques attempted to get a good set of photos to cover the major aspects.

I would add a section on the history of the tunnels, but I see that these are well covered in both photography and information from other users who have done a great job from their own visits.
In regards to uploading photos to the site, I'm still a little unsure but I do hope they both appear and come out well if they do. Enjoy.
DSC_02103889f.jpg

The first adit encountered when travelling north through Sandend. I managed to get all the way through to the cliffs this time.

DSC_0204553e5.jpg

The second adit encountered. This one was flooded though on my last visit I managed to travel quite a way down before I became concerned. It looks to be blocked.

DSC_0219e0b86.jpg

One of my light painted photos looking towards the south portal of Sandsend.
DSC_01460fd81.jpg

The mist in the tunnel proved difficult to allow the torch light to penetrate right down the bore.

DSC_0183ac39f.jpg

Kettleness.
DSC0533846ce7.jpg

You really get an idea of the gradient of this tunnel especially after light painting.
P82900891376d.jpg

My first visit into the now flooded Sandsend adit. The smell of tar/oil was unbelievably strong which was one reason why I didn't go any further.
DSC_01751e006.jpg

Inside the adit of Kettleness which looks to have been mined for Jet.
DSC_0181490b7.jpg

Looking into the adit/mine from the tunnel.
DSC_01570b95f.jpg

Looking in from the cliff at the most open part of the adit/mine.
DSC_02176331b.jpg

Another shot looking towards the south portal of Sandsend.
P8290044bdf49.jpg

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Hi, Im new to the forum though I've know about this site for a number of years now.

Hello and welcome, as I always say.

I would add a section on the history of the tunnels, but I see that these are well covered in both photography and information from other users who have done a great job from their own visits.

Ahhh but that means we have to go and find that information. Personally I don't know anything about these tunnels, and even if I did, I probably could do with a refresher. Do us a favour, add some history next time, even if you just copy it from another report.

In regards to uploading photos to the site, I'm still a little unsure but I do hope they both appear and come out well if they do

All worked fine mate.

JordanT92

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Thanks very much. I've been visiting tunnels and practicing light painting sporadically for a number of months now, however most of the photos have been confined to Flickr.

Mutagen

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Good work mate. I've never dared explore the 'tar/oil smelling adit' as it's just too damn deep in mud and the timbers are as soft as playdoh.

JordanT92

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Good work mate. I've never dared explore the 'tar/oil smelling adit' as it's just too damn deep in mud and the timbers are as soft as playdoh.
Thanks very much. You're absolutely right about both the mud and the timbers. I got quite far down on my first visit but on my most recent visit the whole adit was filled with water. Bit of a shame as I was going to get to where it had collapsed in and photograph it. I filmed my first walk through the adit so I'll try and post it up. There's no narration, just the sound of thick orange mud and water along with me trying to breathe.

rastapasta69

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice report fella!
Love the look of this place, the tar and oil smell sounds abit concerning, did you have a gas meter with you?
I like the video too, looks proper creepy!

JordanT92

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice report fella!
Love the look of this place, the tar and oil smell sounds abit concerning, did you have a gas meter with you?
I like the video too, looks proper creepy!
Thanks. Yeah I didn't feel comfortable in there and with the torrent of water from the air shaft behind me, it made it much worse. I didn't have a gas meter with me but I was out and gone once the filming ended. I also held my breath going in to conserve the fresh air. I won't be going back down there again.

Mutagen

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I went down the tar/oil adit last week: set off the H2S alarm on my meter (high threshold set to 10ppm) after stirring up the sludge whilst taking photos. O2 fine, but that H2S .....

JordanT92

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I went down the tar/oil adit last week: set off the H2S alarm on my meter (high threshold set to 10ppm) after stirring up the sludge whilst taking photos. O2 fine, but that H2S .....
I've not been back there since last November and will probably never venture down that adit again. I'm glad I took a quick video and left immediately after. Was the adit quite 'dry' or flooded when you visited? It took several washes to get that orange sludge off my clothes. Nasty stuff.