real time web analytics
Report - - Sandsend & Kettleness Tunnels, August 2018 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Sandsend & Kettleness Tunnels, August 2018

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Idle Hands

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Going Underground

I can’t say that underground stuff is my ideal choice for a solo excursion, but I was in the area looking for potential explores and this looked interesting. There hasn’t been a report posted for a few years, so I wasn’t sure it was still doable – or that it hadn’t fallen in to the sea by now even - but one summer’s day well in to an unusually dry few months I set out to find out in the hope that it wouldn’t be a mud bath down there.

My major concern was the talk of hydrogen sulphide sitting in pockets along the tunnels, as you'd expect in such places with low ventilation.
I’m no expert on this kind of thing but I have a friend with a PhD in plant biology so quickly dropped him a message with a few questions.

Soon enough Dr Science replied with a few words of encouragement:

Lucas.jpg

It wasn’t really what I wanted to hear but people have done it in the past and survived, so I figured there was only one way to find out what the state of play was…

Brief History

The two tunnels form part of the Whitby, Redcar & Middlesbrough Union Railway line, built between 1871 and 1883 and briefly halted when the original contractor went bust in 1874.
When the North Eastern Railway company took over construction the tunnels were favoured over the original plan to run the route along a rock shelf on the cliff edge.
There’s a short walk between the two through some pretty savage undergrowth and the only feasible option is to walk the route from the northern portal of the Kettleness Tunnel.

I've done a few railway tunnels in my time and they tend to either be a walk in, or be blocked up with a big hole smashed in one end to make for easy access.
These ones appeared to have a big door shaped hole in previous reports and I arrived fairly relaxed at Kettleness expecting it to be easy - but finding a new gate well and truly secured in the hole...

IMG_4395tunnels.JPG

Something about the scene was familiar...

Henry.jpg

Well I guess if Henry can see over a brick wall I can climb over one. And in any case, everyone said that once you're in you can walk the whole length easily without obstacle...

Kettleness is a tidy little tunnel and just 300 yards long, a reality belied by the curvature that allows total darkness to take over at its mid point.

IMG_4366tunnels.JPG

It's a curious mix of stone and brick construction, with the odd little feature along the way.

IMG_4368tunnels.JPG

IMG_4369tunnels.JPG

At the south end I was pleased to find the gate open as expected and I stepped out to do battle with the undergrowth and make my way towards the longer tunnel.

The railway had closed in 1958 when it was found to be in need of some serious investment to keep it operational for minimal use.

It still took another 50 years before part of the northern portal of the Sandsend Tunnel collapsed though.

This I knew about. The fact that there was now yet another locked gate in place beyond the collapse, I did not, but I was soon on the other side of it...

IMG_4392tunnels.JPG

Sandsend Tunnel is much the bigger sibling at around a mile long, much of it straight and presenting a distant 'light at the end of the tunnel' after you've wandered round the first curve.

There's a whole variety of colours to the stone down here.

IMG_4370tunnels.JPG

Five air shafts were sunk in to the roof, all now capped off with no trace above ground.
In spite of the fact that it hadn't rained for three months, all were pouring water through them...

There are also two adits running from the tunnel to the cliff edge for disposal of rocks during construction.
The timbers are soft and the first one has partly collapsed:

IMG_4373tunnels.JPG

The second one absolutely stank of creosote and I didn't really want to stir up too much chemical nastiness so I took a few long exposures while water poured down behind me...

IMG_4377tunnels.JPG

IMG_4379-2tunnels.JPG

IMG_4379tunnels.JPG

It was just after this point that the dreaded smell of rotten eggs that gives away the presence of Hydrogen Sulphide became apparent, and I made a little more haste towards the southern portal.

IMG_4380tunnels.JPG

Some of the brickwork was corroding badly here with the inner leaf bulging and failing:

IMG_4381tunnels.JPG

IMG_4384tunnels.JPG

The southern most air vent was dry, making it possible to shoot straight up without drowning your camera gear:

IMG_4383tunnels.JPG

IMG_4385tunnels.JPG

Working back north and not hanging around the H2S riddled area, I stopped to take a few shots of various coloured oozes in the stonework.

There's also a long run of orange sticky mud in the depths where some of the open drains are overflowing back in to the tunnel.

IMG_4388tunnels.JPG

Sometimes the walls even looked blue...

IMG_4389tunnels.JPG

And then it all reverted to dry, level and solid as the light came back in...

IMG_4390tunnels.JPG

Following on from that I had the ordeal of trying to climb back out of two tunnels, bracing myself on soot covered walls and straining every muscle in my abs and arms before arriving back at the car looking like a chimney sweep. Starving, I ditched the jacket, cleaned my hands as best I could and head for the nearest pub for lunch amongst the ramblers and tourists.
I think I got away with it.

Thanks for looking :thumb

Last edited:

CureForPain

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
This is what happens when you abandon an already-problematic tunnel for 60 years! I'm no civil engineer but I think the technical term here is 'FUBAR'?

Great shots - I much prefer when everything isn't evenly lit, you get more of a sense of the darkness.

dave

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Well done there, Sandsend tunnel seems to be slowly deteriorating with time i first did Sandsend around 33 years ago and it was bad then these days i tend to just do Kettleness its much easier and dryer, that said it sounds like you had some fun getting in and out of them both. On rare occasions if your lucky you can just walk in. During the last war the local police used to patrol Sandsend tunnel at night for fear of a sea based invasion using the service tunnels.

Idle Hands

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Great report, lovely stuff. That second tunnel with the adits looks good.

Thanks - yeah you can get out to the cliff edge so I'd have risked that if I'd had company!

Great shots - I much prefer when everything isn't evenly lit, you get more of a sense of the darkness.

Thank you - more down to me rushing and not wanting the batteries to run out than a conscious artistic direction though!

Well done there, Sandsend tunnel seems to be slowly deteriorating with time i first did Sandsend around 33 years ago and it was bad then these days i tend to just do Kettleness its much easier and dryer, that said it sounds like you had some fun getting in and out of them both. On rare occasions if your lucky you can just walk in. During the last war the local police used to patrol Sandsend tunnel at night for fear of a sea based invasion using the service tunnels.

Thanks Dave - my abs were aching for days afterwards! Sandsend isn't that bad but isn't holding up too well either. Apparently the park authority has assigned £25,000 to investigate whether the tunnels could be opened up to walkers and improve access as part of a wider plan for the area.

zamp

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I went through both tunnels about a year ago,the best part of the whole trip we found was the adit closest to sandsend.It was very stodgy with clay and over half a metre deep in water at one point but well worth going through to get out onto the cliffside,we then scaled up it onto the field above the tunnel and then walked to the southernmost portal.Theres also an aquaduct type thing closeby which runs out to the sea

Ketlleness tunnel adit was also worth going through but wasn't half as good,i think theres another one but had collapsed from memory

Cool pics by the way

dave

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Theres also an aquaduct type thing closeby which runs out to the sea

I,m sure this is the culvert for Overdale beck i had a wander through it many years ago the seaward end was a bit sketchy if my memory serves me right.

tallginge

more tall than ginger tho.....
Regular User
Nice report and pics bud. Did this a while back soon after starting cleveland way. Be fucked if i was walking over a hill when there's a tunnel through. Not sure how £25,000 would be spent on deciding whether or not its safe to let people walk thru but what do i know. Yeah got caught up in them brambles on north side too, jeez. And that photo of henry behind the wall made me chuckle so just watched the episode :thumb

Idle Hands

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
cracking report mate and a lovely looking tunnel or two.

Cheers mate, not quite as epic as your latest reports but keeps me entertained!

Nice report and pics bud. Did this a while back soon after starting cleveland way. Be fucked if i was walking over a hill when there's a tunnel through. Not sure how £25,000 would be spent on deciding whether or not its safe to let people walk thru but what do i know. Yeah got caught up in them brambles on north side too, jeez. And that photo of henry behind the wall made me chuckle so just watched the episode :thumb

Haha, brilliant. Thanks. Yeah I don't think £25,000 would cover the health & safety red tape but it's a nice idea. :D