real time web analytics
Report - - Scotlands secret bunker | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Scotlands secret bunker

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

L

ltpjrs

Not strictly UE paid the £8 entrance fee but as seen as Holpton is on the thought I would put this one on. This place is outside St Andrews and has been used as several different things during its time. Started off as a ROTOR radar station was then mothballed for 2 years than came back as a Civil defence HQ with BBC studio, ROC HQ and was where the Scottish Government would go if the cold war was ever to kick off. This place had 2800 outside telephone lines and 900 internal all operated manually. No guided tours you just take yourself round listening to one of those audio guides (extra £2) which I didn’t bother with.

There is a few films showing at various places round the bunker they are Protect and Survive, Sound an alarm (which has disappeared off you tube:() and one with clips from War Game. The projector had broken and they were not showing the last one. Tripod is a must nearly didn’t take mine but long shutter speeds are needed for the low light. One thing that spoils the pictures is their use of dummies round the place.

There are vehicles parked up round the exterior spoiling the remoteness of the site. Inside the bunker is crammed full of artefacts and in my opinion too full. On the way round at the end of the upper level there was an open door I thought the room was on the tour so I strolled up and inside were 2 maintenance guys working in there. They were working on a Jacuzzi!!! On the shelf above the sink was a Sky plus remote control!! I do not know if someone lives down there why else have a Jacuzzi and Sky? Tried to take a couple of snaps but was told not to by the blokes in there. Didn’t take pictures of the chapel as it’s consecrated but there were pictures on the wall of a couple getting married down there.

First room is a mock up of a Roc post including beeping WBXXXX bunk beds, BPI and GZI (didn’t realise how small they were).

Scotlandsbunker003.jpg

Then it’s on to a mock up of a ROC HQ with dodgy green florescent tubes
1Scotlandsbunker006.jpg

1Scotlandsbunker007.jpg

1Scotlandsbunker008.jpg

1Scotlandsbunker009.jpg

1Scotlandsbunker010.jpg

Doctor’s room

1Scotlandsbunker011.jpg

Dormitory with original blankets in brown paper

1Scotlandsbunker013.jpg

1Scotlandsbunker015.jpg

BBC studio and radio workshop

1Scotlandsbunker017.jpg

1Scotlandsbunker021.jpg

Gents with original sinks and water heater

1Scotlandsbunker027.jpg

Perspex screen with fallout marked

1Scotlandsbunker028.jpg

Civil defence room loads of teleprinters, typewriters, desks and chairs along with Perspex screens with the fallout drawn on.

1Scotlandsbunker033.jpg

1Scotlandsbunker031.jpg

Telephone exchange

1Scotlandsbunker038.jpg

ROC Artefacts (behind glass door)

1Scotlandsbunker040.jpg

1Scotlandsbunker041.jpg

1Scotlandsbunker042.jpg

Armoury

1Scotlandsbunker043.jpg

How to dig a toilet

1Scotlandsbunker047.jpg

RAF radar room

1Scotlandsbunker053.jpg

1Scotlandsbunker054.jpg

RAF plotting room

1Scotlandsbunker057.jpg

1Scotlandsbunker055.jpg

Lightnings on the runway at RAF Leuchars

1Scotlandsbunker056.jpg

BT room

1Scotlandsbunker061.jpg

1Scotlandsbunker064.jpg

Good tour we went and it was nice and quiet dunno what it would be like in the middle of summer when it may be crammed full of people.

Expensive if you plan to take the family and eat there bowl of soup was £3. Worth it if you are in the area.

Last edited by a moderator: