real time web analytics
Report - - Scout Mine - Haslingden - December 2015 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Scout Mine - Haslingden - December 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Reich

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
History

The mine is a reasonable size; about 300 meters long and 100 meters wide. Many entrances are present; however the majority have either been mostly infilled, collapsed or are an ornamental feature in private gardens. As with most of the sandstone mines in the Rossendale area this was worked on the Pillar and Stall Technique, and to date the best example I’ve seen.

The best bit of history I found is this and it is evident when strolling around “In 1938 the mine galleries at the disused Scout Mine were prepared to serve as air raid shelters in case of Second World War air attack. It was reported that the lofty galleries widen at intervals into extensive chambers and are large enough to accommodate scores of people if necessary. The mine was made ready with electric lights and an air lock in case of a gas attack. The roof was supported by large wooden beams, quite a few of them from demolition of mills and other large buildings.”

The general history of Scout Sandstone Mine (and all the other mines) is it taps into the Haslingden series of sandstone deposits, a quite hard rock, which was used for paving flags, machine beds, construction and later hardcore and aggregate for motorway construction

Some quarries in the area are now reopened with small scale production of flag stones and other products. Despite the abundance of quarries in the area : Facit, Britannia, Lands, Abraham etc; mine workings are very common – as the best stone is often found under thousands of tons of overburden and inferior stone – known as “ feight “, so adits were sunk and the stone excavated from pillar and stall workings

Visit

Should mention my first visit to this place was with @Coolboyslim
My visit was great, I think that I've almost learned the entire layout of the place and it's not that big! Either way visited with a new friend of mine eyyyyyyy! It's a nice place and a good place to start doing mine exploring I reckon since you can't get lost in here, it's a grid format there doesn't seem to be any curves so walk in one way, do a 180 and your on your way back :)

Thanks to @The Lone Ranger for the perfect pin point of this mine! Also your Facit marker is spot on also, just go caught last time i tried! Also I stole your history in the most horrible way. Sorry about that!

GOPR5200.jpg

GOPR5201.jpg

GOPR5202.jpg

GOPR5205.jpg

GOPR5207.jpg

^I quite like this one, seems to give the wall depth rather than look flat, probably just some good shadows :)^
GOPR5208.jpg

GOPR5210.jpg

Last edited:

Reich

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Aye starting to like this gopro alot more now :) since its my first mine the roof looked rather stable to me! All until i went to browns and realised its probably not as stable as once thought!

Reich

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
The amount of crap in there from the nearby houses is terrible!
Aye, love the spray on the wall that says old hags house! That was shortly after she told us it was dangerous to be in and we needed to leave, so we ventured deeper!

coolboyslim

Mr Reality Hacker
28DL Full Member
@ACID- REFLUX Cough no page 3 have you not seen his new one lol. And yea probably easy ish to not get lost. However Facit is a whole different beast. Get back to me when that's been conquered.

dartian

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I was down there in november. Going back to try and map it. And thetes supposed to be a lake in there but i never found it

Reich

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Never found a lake unless its through a collapsed passage been there 4 times though and find new things each time!

dartian

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
The guy who runs the garage on the main road told me that. Probably taking the piss. Saves me hunting for it now. Thanks guys