real time web analytics
Report - - Secret Stockport - Mersey Paradise | Noteworthy Reports | Page 2 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Secret Stockport - Mersey Paradise

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

captain-k

28DL Member
28DL Member
There is a good accidental re-discovery story about the Roman Basilica Cistern, also known as Yerebatan Sarayı or "Sunken Palace" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basilica_Cistern) under the Turkish city of Istanbul (Ottoman Constantinople). It has fish in it and the people living above it had holes in the floor of their cellars where they would lower a bucket into the water and pull up the occasional fish. Doesn't seem that anyone wondered what was down there - too superstitious I suppsoe.
It wasn't till more recently when the local police station was being rebuilt (and lower floors dug out for whatever purpose) that they broke through into the lost cistern. A tourist visit now - but there are others still to discover I'm sure.
Istanbul-Cistern.jpg

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice ones :thumb Really enjoyed that.

Ditto the PS1 Tomb Raider pose, even more so with the sideways shimmy over the gantry :Not Worthy

Alley

Conspicuous Loiterer
Regular User
Thanks for all the comments.

At the time I loved TR and wanted to make a gif/video that would be like watching my own adventures in the style of the game. I have a few more photos like that, but haven't taken any for several years. I think Keitei does TR better. The photos have always received a mixed reaction :)

LQi9Zdd.png

jI4bTc1.png

Sebp_

Olds
28DL Full Member
Very nice! Just wondering if you could provide a bit more info on the locations of those buildings you captioned "north bank"? :)

FreshFingers

Choose life, choose tunnels
Regular User
I wouldn't say completely, but I know which way I'd tackle it. 99% of these explores are from doing exactly that, exploring ;)

I don't advocate prowling around the banks of the river on your own, unless your very cautious. There are certain parts of the Goyt which have steep drops into areas where you'll almost not be seen by passers-by. Plus there are bloody green plant things which sting like hell! ( no, not nettles :D )

Hope I don't sound ageist here, but given your age ( my lad is your age ) play it safe and have a mooch around, you'll be amazed and what's tucked away.

Sebp_

Olds
28DL Full Member
I wouldn't say completely, but I know which way I'd tackle it. 99% of these explores are from doing exactly that, exploring ;)

I don't advocate prowling around the banks of the river on your own, unless your very cautious. There are certain parts of the Goyt which have steep drops into areas where you'll almost not be seen by passers-by. Plus there are bloody green plant things which sting like hell! ( no, not nettles :D )

Hope I don't sound ageist here, but given your age ( my lad is your age ) play it safe and have a mooch around, you'll be amazed and what's tucked away.

Alright thank you, Just that second picture of the north bank section looked amazing

FreshFingers

Regular User
Alley does a bustin' pic or 3. Host mentioned in another thread of yours about St Thom's. That's a nice easy one, but just be mindful of the recent fire and associated activity.

Sebp_

Olds
28DL Full Member
Alley does a bustin' pic or 3. Host mentioned in another thread of yours about St Thom's. That's a nice easy one, but just be mindful of the recent fire and associated activity.

Yes I did hear about that.. Slightly off putting seeing as though it was probably caused by vandalism, barnes seems to be completely boarded up and fenced off and secured so that is not looking great either

FreshFingers

Regular User
@Nickindroy Ha! forgot about that mate :violin:p

Sadly, yes Seb. Although it's amazing how things 'fall down' or damp building 'self-combust' when they are a blot on a wanted piece of land.

BrainL

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Really enjoyed this report.. fascinating bits of history and looks like you've had to do a lot of planning for all this.. fantastic!

thegreentiger

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I would dearly like some shots of the "Plus there are bloody green plant things which sting like hell!" as I would like to identify them.

Who has read this thread (Total: 679) View details