real time web analytics
Report - - Severalls Asylum - Colchester - April 2014 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Severalls Asylum - Colchester - April 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

sentinel

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
History

The 300-acre (1.2 km2) site housed some 2000 patients and was based on the "Echelon plan" - a specific arrangement of wards, offices and services within easy reach of each other by a network of interconnecting corridors. This meant that staff were able to operate around the site without the need to go outside in bad weather.
The hospital closed as a psychiatric hospital in the early 1990's following the closure of other psychiatric institutions. However, a small section remained open until 20 March 1997 for the treatment of elderly patients suffering from the effects of serious stroke, as a temporary building for the nearby Colchester General Hospital which was in the process of building an entire new building for these patients. Since 1997 the remaining structures have changed little. Architecturally the site remains an excellent example of a specific asylum plan.

VISIT

Had a tour guide for this one which I would say helped tremendously with getting to the hotspots, You know who you are..

Spent a while in there wondering when our time was up, luckily Michael's day off and when we were due to leave got caught by a nice Gurkha Security guard (I must attract them I think)
After the usual pleasantries we were in the car and heading for some food and a beer or two (thanks bassboyjoe for driving this time)

DSC_0256_zps22f292b0.jpg

DSC_0281_zpsd949215d.jpg

DSC_0288_zpsdead7370.jpg

DSC_0311_zpsb1c990cc.jpg

DSC_0338_zps70bd8a98.jpg

DSC_0355_zps5f4c9ed5.jpg

DSC_0362_zps201e83cf.jpg

DSC_0394_zpsc577ff5f.jpg

Last edited:

catbalou

off the wall
Regular User
that bed sure gets about a bit! always meant to return here but never did :(
the 12 hour round trip was always a bit daunting.
really liking that last pic

Who has read this thread (Total: 0) View details