real time web analytics
Report - - Severalls Asylum, Colchester, July 2012 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Severalls Asylum, Colchester, July 2012

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Altair

Poking holes since '84
28DL Full Member
'Yawn, yet another Sevs report' I can hear you all saying. But this was mine and Atomic's first visit and the first time out for my shiny new camera. We were initially surprised at how secure this place is compared to others. Unfortunately our visit was cut short by the infamous Secca guy! Although i don't think a visit to Sev's would be complete without bumping into the guy. Must be said he's a nice chap and we had no trouble, even shared a nice chat. It was certainly easier than finding our own way out again!

Brief History

The 300-acre (1.2 km2) site housed some 2000 patients and was based on the "Echelon plan" - a specific arrangement of wards, offices and services within easy reach of each other by a network of interconnecting corridors. This meant that staff were able to operate around the site without the need to go outside in bad weather. Unlike modern British hospitals, patients in Severalls were separated according to their gender. Villas were constructed around the main hospital building as accommodation blocks between 1910 and 1935. Most of the buildings are in the Queen Anne style, with few architectural embellishments, typical of the Edwardian period. The most ornate buildings are the Administration Building, Larch House and Severalls House (originally the Medical Superintendent's residence)

The hospital closed as a psychiatric hospital in the early 1990s following the closure of other psychiatric institutions. However, a small section remained open until 20 March 1997 for the treatment of elderly patients suffering from the effects of serious stroke, etc., as a temporary building for nearby Colchester General Hospital which was in the process of building an entire new building for these patients.
Since 1997 the remaining structures have changed little. Architecturally, the site remains an excellent example of a specific asylum plan. However, the buildings have suffered greatly from vandalism. In 2005 the main hall was subjected to an arson attack and in 2007 the charred building was demolished for safety reasons. The five boilers were removed from the Central Boiler House in 2007.
In 2008, the sale of the Hospital Site, including its extensive Grounds, collapsed due to the slow-down in the Building Industry.

Anyway on with my take of a very well covered place. Just a few pictures, as I'm sure Atomic will add to these too. Enjoy

Lets begin with the standard albeit broken chair!
DSC_3049.jpg

DSC_3086.jpg

Nature seems to be slowly reclaiming the place.
DSC_3082.jpg

Anyone know what this strange thing is?
DSC_3081.jpg

DSC_3079.jpg

Merry Christmas everyone!
DSC_3069.jpg

DSC_3072.jpg

DSC_3068.jpg

DSC_3065.jpg

DSC_3063.jpg

DSC_3052.jpg

DSC_3055.jpg

DSC_3056.jpg

DSC_3059.jpg

And finally the dreary corridor shot to finish.
DSC_3064.jpg

Who has read this thread (Total: 0) View details