real time web analytics
Report - - Severalls Hospital - Colchester - January 2015 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Severalls Hospital - Colchester - January 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Raz

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Finally got to visit the place that sparked my addiction to these places and it was worth the wait! after unintentionally using some other lads we bumped into as bait for the secca we made our way round the endless corridors like headless chickens trying to decide which way to go and after just short of 2 hours we walked straight into security! probably the most friendly I've bumped into yet and nicely pointed out the best bits on our long walk out, all of which we missed :( ! Apologies if the fish-eye is too much on some shots, all from my gopro!

The History

Severalls Hospital in Colchester, Essex, UK was a psychiatric hospital built in 1910 and opened in May 1913. The 300-acre (1.2 km2) site housed some 2000 patients and was based on a plan whereby wards, offices and services were within easy reach of each other by a network of interconnecting corridors. This meant that staff were able to operate around the site without the need to go outside in bad weather. Patients in Severalls were separated according to their gender. Villas were constructed around the main hospital building as accommodation blocks between in the years after its opening.
Psychiatrists were free to experiment with new treatments on patients seemingly at will, using practices now considered unsuitable such as electro-convulsive therapy (ECT) and the use of frontal lobotomy.. A change in management during the 1960s (and likely a change in social acceptances) saw reforms introduced including the creation of art and music therapy programs and the widespread use of drugs and medication.
The hospital closed as a psychiatric hospital in the early 1990s following the closure of other psychiatric institutions. However, a small section remained open until 20 March 1997 for the treatment of elderly patients suffering from the effects of serious stroke, etc., as a temporary building for nearby Colchester General Hospita

16177049067_45287de1ee_z.jpg

15742959793_aaed78384c_z.jpg

15740484634_6f1fd6cd3c_z.jpg

16336959996_f136b59e15_z.jpg

16175550800_cac27f2f84_z.jpg

16175305338_5f8c2048cf_z.jpg

16362023482_cda9d01659_z.jpg

16175545170_b83ed4b778_z.jpg

16175299778_4c5000bbd9_z.jpg

16175297898_364aa1988c_z.jpg

16175295708_0516645692_z.jpg

16361167131_55597ecee3_z.jpg

15742936513_77b4df23c7_z.jpg

Thanks for looking :thumb

Hydro

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
haha you got Michael dancing i see! nice report mate, loving the edit on photo #8

beat me to it though i was going to report, guess ill have to wait a while now lol

Seffy

SWC
Staff member
I personally like your photos, don't think the fisheye is too much at all. Well shot, and at least you got to meet the man himself.

UrbanDuck

Authorised Trespasser
28DL Full Member
Love the fish eye shots, nice work. Micheal is indeed a legend...would love to know if he ever goes on holiday?!!

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
My invite lost in the post yet again I see ;)

Nice ones mate :thumb

Pics come out good though (with a little help? :)

Never bothered using my Hero3+ for this stuff, it"s just sat under one of my Quadcopters gathering dust:crazy But for a F2.8 lens they produce a fair image even when flying on full res" especially considering it"s JPEG (can"t remember if the new ones shoot RAW ?)

My idea was to Film all the Asylums from outside, but if something happens & it go"s Tits Up you"ve still got to get over the fence etc to get the bloody thing. And mine weighs a ton with all the extra batteries etc for the Quad, sod that ;)

Still got 100mins HD footage from Whittington to edit one day :tumbleweed

Last edited:

ZerO81

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Fish eye actually works quite well in these types of situation, quite subtle in some of the shots!

Raz

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
My invite lost in the post yet again I see ;)

Nice ones mate :thumb

Pics come out good though (with a little help? :)

Never bothered using my Hero3+ for this stuff, it"s just sat under one of my Quadcopters gathering dust:crazy But for a F2.8 lens they produce a fair image even when flying on full res" especially considering it"s JPEG (can"t remember if the new ones shoot RAW ?)

My idea was to Film all the Asylums from outside, but if something happens & it go"s Tits Up you"ve still got to get over the fence etc to get the bloody thing. And mine weighs a ton with all the extra batteries etc for the Quad, sod that ;)

Still got 100mins HD footage from Whittington to edit one day :tumbleweed

Yes mate with a little help lol! I never got to see whittington would be nice to see that footage mate

And its a hero 3+silver :thumbs

Hydro

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Yes mate with a little help lol! I never got to see whittington would be nice to see that footage mate

And its a hero 3+silver :thumbs

The Whittingham footage would be good to see! when we went it had mostly been demolished :( - get that up ACID-REFLUX:thumb

upright_ninja

Picture of Stealth
28DL Full Member
Good stuff, mate. Cracking shots of a firm favourite of mine and no doubt many others. It's a very addictive place!

u>.<n

Who has read this thread (Total: 3) View details