real time web analytics
Report - - Severalls Mental Hospital update 14/03/2010 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Severalls Mental Hospital update 14/03/2010

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

DubbedNavigator

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Visited with Layz and AndrewB

This was my "decade" trip to Severalls, and boy did it turn a treat, all expect ripping my jeans which was rather embarrasing

I and indeed many others have done a fair few reports, so i have tried to include a different selection, for those of you that are not familiar with it - included is some wikipedia stealage :

" Severalls Hospital in Colchester, Essex, UK was a psychiatric hospital built in 1910 which first opened in May 1913. The 300-acre (1.2km2) site housed some 2000 patients and was based on the "Echelon plan" - a specific arrangement of wards, offices and services within easy reach of each other by a network of interconnecting corridors. This meant that staff were able to operate around the site without the need to go outside in bad weather. Unlike modern British hospitals, patients in Severalls were separated according to their gender. The architect of the asylum was Frank Whitmore. Psychiatrists were free to experiment with new treatments on patients seemingly at will using practices now considered unsuitable such as electro-convulsive therapy (ECT) and the use of frontal lobotomy. These practices reached their climax during the 1950s."

I really enjoyed this trip, sadly things are getting more and more difficult to access. the water tower being the main fail. it is complelty inaccessible.... unless you are around 20ft tall!

Annoyingly, i forgot to change the camera's settings to 800x600, so 640 will have to do - at least i cant get moaned at for them being too big!!

I shall start with what this asylum is famous for, its corridors:

Corridors.jpg

A nice shot of the water tower:
Watertower.jpg

First kitchen shot:

Kitchen1.jpg

And the 2nd:

Kitchen2.jpg

A switch from one of the huge laundry machines
Washingmachineswitch.jpg

After 10 times visiting this place, we finally found the mortuary (thanks to Layz genius idea to bring a map along) can say i was a little disappointed, no mortuary slab :-(

Morguefridges.jpg

Obviously people havent taken much notice of this?

NoSmoking.jpg

I thought stuff was meant to be locked IN the safe??

Safe.jpg

Another rather old vending machine! lurrrvly

Oldvendingmachine.jpg

A shot i rather liked of the now demo'd main hall

Mainhall.jpg

Recreation grounds, and a bit of nature

Court.jpg

Nature.jpg

My favourite shot, didnt realise its potential when i took it!

Nature2.jpg

Some shots of the charred Kent/Kirby(?) ward

Kentward1.jpg

Kentward.jpg

In the Well and truly destroyed Superintendants residence. camera died so i couldnt get everything:

Supershouse.jpg

Burnthall.jpg

The irony...
View attachment 185688

Shot of engineering

Engineering.jpg

Death inducing service tunnel. well, this one wasnt so bad. but most of them are a no go

Servicetunnel.jpg

Dirty..

Fireplace.jpg

And to save the best for last......

MrReaper.jpg

Thanks for looking, if anyone is interested in a detailed history - and videos of its final days. the Hospitals website has been updated. the films in this are very good and give a completly different perspective on the place...... shows how trashed it really is

DN

Who has read this thread (Total: 3) View details