real time web analytics
Report - - Severn Bridge Railway Tunnel, Lydney - September 2014 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Severn Bridge Railway Tunnel, Lydney - September 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

TallRich

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hi All,

I've been reading around these forums for a few weeks now, and have been on 5 successful explores, with Ourtcloud and a couple of other non 28dl members.

We had a great visit to the Severn Bridge Railway Tunnel in Lydney today, and managed to get some good shots we thought would be good to share!

The history of this site are well documented elsewhere on this forum (here) but here is a brief overview:

The Severn Bridge Railway Tunnel was built by the Severn Bridge Railway company in the 1870s to transport coal from the Forest of Dean on the Severn and Wye Railway. The Tunnel formed a part of the Lydney to Sharpness link, and led to the nearby Severn Railway Bridge.
The tunnel was not in active use for long however, as on 25 October 1960, in thick fog and a strong tide, two barges (named the Arkendale H and Wastdale H) - which had overshot Sharpness Dock - collided with one of the columns of the railway bridge after being carried upstream. Two spans bridge collapsed into the river, and after further damage to the bridge in February 1961, when another span collapsed, the bridge was deemed to be damaged beyond economic repair, and the tunnel was taken out of service forever soon after.

More recently, the tunnel seems to have been used by a local farmer, as access between his fields. Parts of the old station are now being used for raising grouse or some other small game birds.

North-East entrance to the tunnel
GOALIRx.jpg

Some lovely colours and textures in the brick and block work of the tunnel
fjIlY5v.jpg

Reflection of my shadow on the roof
wyB1sbo.jpg

A shot of one of the tunnel's many refuge points
qnjvQmm.jpg

Another refuge point, nice contrast between the stone and the red brick work
knl28TL.jpg

Wooden planks are fastened to the wall and ceiling in places, possibly to support repair works, or part of an old lining
W5Wr22d.jpg

FNz4EYF.jpg

This refuge was in the worst condition of them all, with parts of the brickwork completely collapsed. You can see the wooden support behind the roof of the refuge, and the stone behind it.
LXgkFXM.jpg

KnPt6TQ.jpg

AUBCSpr.jpg

JYsN4Cm.jpg

hope you enjoy the photos!

TallRich

The Kwan

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Re: Severn Railway Tunnel, Lydney - September 2014

Thanks for sharing this with us mate, some decent images but you will need that history in the report :)

TallRich

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

Hi The Kwan,

thanks for your nice comments, I'll be sure to add the history to my future reports :)

TallRich

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

Thanks for sharing this with us mate, some decent images but you will need that history in the report :)

Thanks for the kind words, I've updated my first post with a bit of history, and will definitely make a bigger effort in the future!

Happy Exploring

TallRich

Lord Oort

Fear is the little death
Regular User
Nice one Rich, had a great time today I'm just going through my pics and then I'll post em.

Lord Oort

Fear is the little death
Regular User
Ok Here's what I got.

Light Painting my first shot.
6NOYCSn.jpg

Stalagmites
GZJ4jmJ.jpg

mmmMMmm, Stripey.
BldcXX1.jpg

Light reflected from puddles of water.
tR03aAt.jpg

Anyone need some tyres?
3bggNr0.jpg

Setting up
OTEpFmI.jpg

Obligatory long shot through tunnel
XNkyn28.jpg

Rat Poo Bench (Officially named by Carol)
sn11jZ1.jpg

Awesome Ceilings
lcpbLh1.jpg

FNyMNHw.jpg

99dArcx.jpg

Magic can of Lilt
6lt5ZAF.jpg

Polo

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Been through that tunnel a number times as I live fairly near it myself, and I must say I do like it quite a bit! :laugh