real time web analytics
Report - - Severn railway bridge tunnel oct 2011 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Severn railway bridge tunnel oct 2011

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

MrMax

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Title might not make sense to all, but from 1879 until 1960 there was a crossing over the river Severn, from the village of Purton on the west side to Purton on the east side (yep two villages - same name).

Couldn't see it reported on here before so hopefully of interest.

A multiple span iron bridge, it carried a railway over the Severn to the junction of the ship canal at Sharpness. Built just before and in competition with the tunnel under the River it knocked 30 miles off the journey from Wales via Gloucester.

SevernBridgeMap.jpg

In 1960 2 runaway petrol barges hit the bridge causing substantial damage. Despite efforts to repair it, it never reopened finally being demolished in 1970.

Bridge after accident showing missing section
SevernBridgeColour.jpg

Wiki here Severn Railway Bridge - Wikipedia

Nicked the old photos from here Severn Railway Bridge

I went with the dog to check out any remains of the bridge but mainly to find the tunnel that cuts through a hill on the approach to the bridge. Anyone who has been to the Severn will know the mud is super slippy at the best of times, it was pissing it down when we were there which made it all extra exciting making our way along the bank, even the dog was struggling and he has an extra pair of legs.
Any way on with the pics.

We stared here at the current railway mainline
100_1569.jpg

Not much to see but this is where that massive bridge stood (Sharpness dock in the distance)
100_1576.jpg

On the same spot, looking inland - a collapsed pier
100_1585.jpg

A few relics like this saddle on the shoreline
100_1580.jpg

A daring sprint over the railway and across a few fields and finally hello tunnel (east portal)
100_1601.jpg

Inside in very good nick
tunnelcolours.jpg

refuge.jpg

noisyme.jpg

Standing just inside the west portal
fireball.jpg

And the east portal again, this time just after closure
SevernBridgeTunnel.jpg

A great day was had despite the rain and I got a chance to practice my long exposure photoing (yep I know - more practice required!)

Tanks for looking :thumb