real time web analytics
Report - - Share and Coulter Pub - Herne Bay - December 2021 | Leisure Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Share and Coulter Pub - Herne Bay - December 2021

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

UrbexBee20

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
History and research of Share and Coulter pub

The pub was closed and sold to an unknown bidder in September/October 2015 for £265,000 which has sat derelict ever since. In 2017 it was used as a traveller’s camp and a dumping area for fly-tippers. It will cost taxpayers about £16,000 to get cleared. The council told the travellers to move on after they set up camp around the abandoned pub. 10 caravans and motorhomes moved on the site in 2017. Canterbury City Council spend thousands of pounds clearing mounds of rubbish, bricks and rubble and even installed blockades to prevent people fly tipping.

In March 2018 scaffolding was erected and sheets were draped over the roof to prevent leaks and to ready the listed building for work. All the ceiling, plasterboards, and cosmetics inside are damaged but in terms of the infrastructure, it’s pretty solid.

A few tiles from the roof were stolen. It is said that the new owner originally intended to convert the Share and Coulter into a nursing home but then contemplated moving his family into it. It is believed the new owner saw the land and its potential and the price but hadn’t actually planned what he wanted to do with it all. This pub was also a restaurant which was able to cater for 52 people and offered a range of traditional food and daily specials. There was a cozy bar serving fine ales and wines. Also, the pub had its own football team and a good-sized outdoor pitch. Darts, Pool, Petanque and Bat & Trap were also enjoyable games that were played in the pub. With an eating area outside and a children’s play area, this was perfect for families.

The Share and Coulter dates from the early Victorian era when it was set up as a beer house with some of the rent used to support poor people of the parish. The pub takes its name from a horse drawn plough – there is an original set over the main entrance.

Exploring Share and Coulter pub

We wasn't planning on doing an explore but we spotted this and decided to do it on route home. Really easy one to explore as loads of different access areas just wide open. We weren’t here for very long but parked directly outside and walked down the old road, straight in to find it completely wrecked. After seeing some of the photos of the pub in 2015, it’s heart breaking to see the state of it now.

Some of the windows and doors were boarded up with metal sheets, there were loads of rubbish that had been dumped all around the pub and a play area towards the back of the pub. There were blue tarpaulin sheets on top of the poor to protect the building from water damage. Going into the house on the left-hand side there was some artwork (assuming that was there when the pub was open). There was so much rubbish, glass, parts of the ceiling and all sorts on the floor.

You can still see where particular parts of the pub would have been for example, the toilets, the bar, the cellar area etc. We did have a little wander upstairs but didn’t want to walk to far due to water damage to the floor although it seemed sturdy it wasn’t worth the risk. There were two mattresses, one in one of the rooms and one just in the hallway, assumingly used by squatters.

Overall, the whole pub is totally wrecked and has deteriorated massively over the years.

Apologies for the quality of the photos – we weren’t intending on doing an explore so only had our flash on our phones to use!

Please enjoy the photos. More photo's in the comments.

Last edited:

vw_golf_nutter

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I stopped here last Christmas (2020) and there were so many travellers there i didnt bother parking the car. I didnt fancy getting beaten up or robbed.

UrbexBee20

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I stopped here last Christmas (2020) and there were so many travellers there i didnt bother parking the car. I didnt fancy getting beaten up or robbed.
Ah sorry to hear that! No one is there now but did read up about the travellers in news paper articles!

lvst.day

28DL Member
28DL Member
Awesome photos, I didn’t know there were any abandoned pubs around this area. I’ll have to make a note of this one! Interesting that there seems to be a larger space behind where the kegs used to be:thumb

UrbexBee20

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Awesome photos, I didn’t know there were any abandoned pubs around this area. I’ll have to make a note of this one! Interesting that there seems to be a larger space behind where the kegs used to be:thumb
Thank you! Yeah it was my first pub explore but I'm sure there are probably much better ones around! This one has really deteriorated but still one on the list crossed off

Who has read this thread (Total: 206) View details