real time web analytics
Report - - Sheffield Old Crown Courts - August 2015 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Sheffield Old Crown Courts - August 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Dangle_Angle

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Was looking to hit this for many months....glad I eventually did it.
(Thanks to @Lavino, @woopashoopaa, @Vulex and the cool guy known only as 'Tom' haha)

History...

Sheffield Old Town Hall stands on Waingate in central Sheffield, England, opposite Castle Market.

The building was commissioned to replace Sheffield's first town hall, which had opened in 1700 to a design by William Renny. This first structure stood by the parish church, on a site with little prospect for extension.

The Old Town Hall was built in 1807–8 by Charles Watson, and was designed to house not only the Town Trustees but also the Petty andQuarter Sessions. The initial building was a five-bay structure fronting Castle Street, but it was extended in 1833 and again in 1866 by William Flockton (1804–1864) of Sheffield and his partner for the project, Abbott; the most prominent feature was the new central clock tower over a new main entrance that reoriented the building to Waingate. At the same time, the building's courtrooms were linked by underground passages to the neighbouring Sheffield Police Offices.

The first Town Council was elected in 1843 and took over the lease of the Town Trustees' hall in 1866. The following year, the building was extensively renovated, with a clock tower designed by Flockton & Abbott being added.

By the 1890s, the building had again become too small, and the current Sheffield Town Hall was built further south. The Old Town Hall was again extended in 1896–97, by the renamed Flockton, Gibbs & Flockton, and became Sheffield Crown Court and Sheffield High Court. In the 1990s, these courts moved to new premises, and since at least 1997 to present, the building remains disused.

In 2007, it was named by the Victorian Society as one of their top ten buildings most at-risk.

On with the pics.....

View from Waingate
IMG_2054.JPG

Lower Cells with awesome flakey-ness
P8296327.JPG

'You can't touch me for trespass. It says it here!'
P8296289.JPG

Upper Cell block
P8296344.JPG

Lower Cells
P8296320.JPG

Court 1 from reception hall
P8296362.JPG

Exit staircase
P8296379.JPG

Time to go....
P8296388.JPG

Staircase from court 1 entrance
P8296369.JPG

This has been one of my favourite places to date.....

Thanks for looking everyone :thumb

Last edited by a moderator:

ZerO81

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Right, I have tidied up the thread by removing all the gas mask pictures (which do nothing for the report) and removed all the comments around said gas mask photos.

Reactions: jST

Dangle_Angle

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Right, I have tidied up the thread by removing all the gas mask pictures (which do nothing for the report) and removed all the comments around said gas mask photos.
Thanks, I guess? But that's for me to say if they have an impact on the report isn't it??
So let's get this straight....we are not allowed to do any fun shOts with masks (because they don't do anything for reports!). Is this opinion just that??? Or is it in the 'rules'??
You also deleted a comment from @Will Knot which had nothing to do with masks...

Punk

Punkus Explorus
28DL Full Member
Nice set of snaps :thumb
There's some lovely paint peel here.
Did you get up to the clocktower?

Squirrell 911

28DL Regular User
Regular User
The report is good. Wear a mask when in there if you feel you need it but please dont go taking a picture of yourself wearing said mask as its just a red rag to many (plus it makes you look like a tit)

Who has read this thread (Total: 4) View details