real time web analytics
Report - - Sheffield Ski Village - July 2019 | Leisure Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Abandoned-Sheffield

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Sadly there is pretty much nothing left at the Sheffield Ski Village. In fact, soon it will be hardly recognisable that the site was ever used to be the skiing centre! Nether the less, this was something on our list that we'd wanted to see for a while so we made our way up into the Sheffield hills...

You can check out all my photos from this explore here on my Flickr.

Background:
Sheffield Ski Village was an artificial ski slope complex in the Parkwood Springs area of Sheffield, England which operated from 1988 until it was destroyed by fire in 2012. It was believed to be the largest artificial ski resort in Europe with a sports shop, bar, restaurant and a range of slopes which included a Snowflex nursery slope, a Dendix recreational slope and a freestyle park consisting of a half pipe, hip jump, kicker, a quarter pipe and various grind rails.

The explore:
I'd heard reports that there was a travellers site that had set up next to the entrance to the Ski Village so had always been sceptical as to visiting here, however some research into this it seems that the travellers living there had been evicted and told to move on by Sheffield City Council. This was the case when getting to the entrance, there was a massive rubble mound where the entrance to the travellers caravans had been blocked off. It's great that the iconic "Sheffield Ski Village" gates are still intact, even if they provide little purpose anymore. The site itself is pretty large, but there remains little to suggest it was ever a ski village anymore, only a few slopes have some of the ground material left, and there's piles of rubbish allover the site. Such a shame. However, there are some amazing views of Sheffield from up here, and I took the opportunity to take the drone into the sky to get some shots of this.

Screenshot 2019-09-18 at 14.03.34.png

Screenshot 2019-09-18 at 14.03.22.png

SkiVillage49.jpg

SkiVillage46.jpg

The drone shots above show that little remains on the Ski Village site, but that it does offer some cracking views of Sheffield city.

Screenshot 2019-09-18 at 14.02.08.png

Screenshot 2019-09-18 at 14.03.52.jpg

Screenshot 2019-09-18 at 14.02.53.png

Screenshot 2019-09-18 at 14.02.35.jpg

Who has read this thread (Total: 200) View details