Web
Analytics
Report - - Shellness Minefield Control Post, Isle of Sheppey. July 2020 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Shellness Minefield Control Post, Isle of Sheppey. July 2020

Urban Ginger Hog

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Having never ventured onto the Isle of Sheppey before I was on a mission to have a good walk around the general coastal area. From reviewing local maps I knew there was a popular structure in the vicinity which was on my 'to do list'. Parking up, my pal starts laughing!! Having no idea what's tickled his balls I then see the sign stating clothes must be warn in this area, wtf?! I quickly realised that we had driven into a nudist beach area, full of old balding men. Not wishing to join the carefree community we pressed on towards our destination. A private residential fenced area appeared to block our path but we quickly located a path running parallel taking us straight to the location. After a 5 minute walk we arrived and with not one other person around and a scorching day, it was looking to be a cracking day. Having seen a few photos of this structure on social media I had a rough idea of what to expect. Now, I hate graffiti and especially on a building of historical significance but the stuff found here made even me smile. Proceeding inside there are only 2 rooms. The first being to the right which unfortunately was covered in cans, and the usual rubbish. Inside the main room was evidence of fireworks being let off inside. We spent a while chilling out, took a few shots then headed back to the car before heading north to our next location.

A small but cracking location and definitely worth the visit.

History:
Located on Shell Ness beach, research states that this structure was a Minefield Control Post. A rectangular concrete structure on two levels, with close defence embrasures in the lower level and observation slots in the upper level.
The structure is in good condition with traces of fittings for steel shutters over the bottom of the observation slits.

20200711_095155-01.jpeg

20200711_222322-02.jpeg

20200711_224903-01.jpeg
20200711_175312-01.jpeg
DSC_0636.JPG
DSC_0638-01.jpeg
20200711_222132-01.jpeg
DSC_0642.JPG
20200711_222031-02.jpeg
DSC_0654-02.jpeg
20200711_094835-01.jpeg
20200711_222213-02.jpeg
20200711_221955-01.jpeg
20200711_094904-01.jpeg

Till next time people, stay safe and avoid nudist beaches!!!

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
lol, now thats funny. I really fancy a nudest resort, but if its all old men, I think I`ll give it a miss now. Nice views across the Thames there. May have to have a mooch here.

HRed180

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice report! Good to see more of Sheppey despite the North side of the it looking like an incest island. But it looks like you had fun on the South West though:thumb Can’t wait to see the others :) By the way, there’s a tv show shot here, you can’t see the bunker but it’s called ‘End of the Fucking World’ and is pretty decent

Urban Ginger Hog

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice report! Good to see more of Sheppey despite the North side of the it looking like an incest island. But it looks like you had fun on the South West though:thumb Can’t wait to see the others :) By the way, there’s a tv show shot here, you can’t see the bunker but it’s called ‘End of the Fucking World’ and is pretty decent
Cheers pal, was my first visit to the area. Had a mooch around north east but we ran out of time. As we drove from one site to another we must have seen at least half a dozen abandoned buildings but parking was a big problem, plus high razor wire fence and CCTV lol

HRed180

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Cheers pal, was my first visit to the area. Had a mooch around north east but we ran out of time. As we drove from one site to another we must have seen at least half a dozen abandoned buildings but parking was a big problem, plus high razor wire fence and CCTV lol
Well I recently found a way in one of the areas down there but haven’t gone in because of the CCTV too but when I used to go in, security used to be very inactive at sunset which may come in handy

Airfix

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
It was repurposed as a bird (feather kind) watching hide as the area is a wild bird hot spot, but based on your photos it's not used as such anymore. The building was constructed in 1942 and was also used as part of an experimental rocket trial called UP Radiator which was planned to create a aerial mine shield over the Swale estuary.