real time web analytics
Report - - Shoreham Cement Works - 24/01/10 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Shoreham Cement Works - 24/01/10

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

professor frink

Reppin Bumbaclaat
28DL Full Member
Visited Sunday the 24th January, MOFO and his mates were already there.
We were hiding in the shadows due to hearing noises, until they came down and gave us the heads up.
Big thanks :thumb

Shortened the history as much as I could, you don't have to read it if you don't want to. ;)

The former Shoreham Cement Works, located within the Sussex Downs was erected in 1949. The quarry dates back to 1851 and cement was manufactured on the site since at least 1898.

A tunnel under the road separates the distribution plant and administrative blocks (west) and the industrial site and chalk quarry (east). Clay was obtained from pits a short distance up the River Adur and coal was brought in by rail.

The cement was fired in two enormous 350ft kilns. The works is considered a fine example of the technology of the post war period and is still largely intact.

Shoreham Cement Works closed in 1991 and a distribution depot on the site ceased operating in 1997. There were no requirements for the owners of the Cement Works, Blue Circle, to restore the site or even to remove the buildings and other structures. The site, therefore, remains derelict and decaying.

There are specific policies for the former cement works in both the Adur and Horsham District Local Plans (the site falls within both districts) for business/leisure uses. The Horsham District Local Plan policy is quite specific that no more development than is necessary to secure the restoration will be allowed, although there is no indication of what "restoration" means in detail.

Duplicate planning applications (one to each District) were submitted in 1998 for a science park and an indoor winter sports centre. These proposals were not progressed, primarily due to a lack of funding, no environmental assessment of the proposals was submitted as was required and the applications have now been withdrawn.

In 1999 the new owners of the site submitted new proposals - an outline application for the industrial/business development of the site, with no detail except floorspaces, and a full application for a full-specification improved access to each half of the site.

In a nutshell the owners are fecked! Its in an area of outstanding natural beauty and the only option is restoration. The council wants a positive and tangible contribution to the natural beauty of the Sussex Downs, the owners want money.

This stalemate provides jobs for security guards and a cracking explore in an area of outstanding natural beauty.

Shoreham008.jpg

2. Bus stop still operational.
Shoreham014-1.jpg

Shoreham173.jpg

Shoreham168.jpg

5. The 350ft kilns.
Shoreham035.jpg

6. Chains inside the kilns.
Shoreham040.jpg

Shoreham054-1.jpg

Shoreham071.jpg

9. I liked the symmetry here.
Shoreham057.jpg

Shoreham052.jpg

11. Power plant room.
Shoreham120.jpg

Shoreham128.jpg

13. Family of robots?
Shoreham106.jpg

14. Mega drivegear thing.
Shoreham127.jpg

15. One of the conveyors
Shoreham111.jpg

Shoreham028.jpg

Shoreham116.jpg

Shoreham145.jpg

19. Huge water tanks
Shoreham163.jpg

20. View of distribution plant and administrative blocks.
Shoreham143.jpg

Shoreham051.jpg

22. View over the silos.
Shoreham091.jpg

23. Sun setting as we left.
Shoreham181.jpg

darkterritory

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Got in there today on both sides of road, no security for one side, other side were useless didn't even see them once on the premises, an awesome place, I am very new to this site, how do I create a new thread, met a couple of urbex peeps today asking how to get into security patrolled side and don't know how to post a thread so that I can invite them to tag along next time. Any help would be great. Thanks

T

TheDarkStranger

The floor is littered with smashed asbestos tiles. Wear a mask in future.

darkterritory

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I always wear a mask whenever I am on an Urbex, but sound advice for those who don't, better to be safe now than sorry later in life.

Weeble

Having a blonde moment
28DL Full Member
is this place open ?

I wouldn't call it 'open' - It's accessible, if that's what you mean. I went past there today to have a look - there's quite a lot of security there. The security huts to the right of the building looked quite active - lights on, and 3 cars parked outside.

Who has read this thread (Total: 3) View details