Web
Analytics
Report - - Shrubland Hall , Suffolk, June 19 | Residential Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Shrubland Hall , Suffolk, June 19

The Witness

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
After another laborious week at work counting down the days to the weekend, finally Sunday arrived and after some brainstorming, quick planning and googling we set of around 1pm from Bury St Edmunds and headed to Shrubland Hall, just outside of Ipswich for the first location in a day filled with exploring (1 of 3 stops). Having lived in the countryside all my life i have a real appreciation for being in the middle of nowhere! and this place is pretty much just that , there are plenty of footpaths around this place although roads and entrances to the hall are gated off and thoroughly sign posted, walking the footpaths alone would be a nice day out as you will see from some of my pictures.

I am quite surprised that i cannot find any reviews of this place on this site so will try fill in some gaps for everyone i'm no historian though just half decent at googling haha . I am sure this site has been visited by many before even came across a couple on the way out asking about the site. i will say now that i didn't manage to get pictures of the mansion just the grounds.... we didn't want to get spotted as a hall light was on in the mansion.

1560252976446.png

The History (In Short)
  1. It was built in the 1770's. Designed by James Paine . although the old hall dates back to the 1600s i think.
  2. Although this was a residential property of lords and barons, It has had many uses during its life. 2nd world war brigade HQ, Health clinic, Hotel, Restaurant, Spa etc but this closed in 2017.
  3. parts of the James Bond film "Never say never again" were filmed at the hall.
  4. in 2006 the shrubland estate (hall and gardens) were put up for sale at £26 Million. the land totals some 1,300 Acres.
  5. The gardens are grade 1 listed and Shrubland hall is grade 2 listed.
  6. Currently being considered to be re-open as a Hilton hotel.
  7. The Mansion itself was last up for auction at the price of £6.5 million.
The Explore

We parked up at one of the many footpaths surrounding the hall walked for a bit until we came across something fairly strange in the woods.... what looks to be tidal barriers? to be honest i didnt have a clue what they were until i saw loads shells still on the wood and plenty that had dropped ofF around it.
20190609_151313.jpg

anyway after that discovery we walked back up the path to find a nice tower type house (still occupied) on a hill overlooking a pond, it was here we took a detour of the main track and ignored all signs warning we were off the footpath, after a bit of a trek and hopping a few fences we found a back gate that was already open this led us in to the grounds. google earth is your best friend to find your way across the gardens they are rather extensive and you can easily miss some nice bits. for example there is a rather large maze that we would never of found if it wasn't for maps.

Snapchat-1477764409.jpg

The first thing you might notice in the gardens is the amount of statues that are dotted around the place some of them seemed fairly strange but how old they are i'm not completely sure, onward through the bushes we came to the huge main staircase leading up to the mansion . Excited almost feeling like rocky balboa i jumped up the steps with eye of tiger playing in my head till i got to the top to peek at this big fuck off mansion i had heard about. I'm sure you can buy alot of things if you can afford a £6.5 million mansion but this guy has a cannon straight outside his back door pointed down the steps!

20190609_161235_edited.jpg

back down the steps to explore the rest of the garden into another courtyard with more statues and seating , following random trails around we found the tennis courts that hadn't looked like they had been played on in years , also we came across a little house in woodland within the grounds that didn't look to be lived in , took a peek around and saw a smashed window around the front but the door was still locked , i ended up poking my arm through the window to get a couple of pics. This might of been a servants house? obviously refurbished at some point because i could see a newer style radiator but the wooden walling was the best thing about this house it looked hand carved throughout very detailed i just wish i could of got closer.

20190609_155124.jpg

20190609_154835.jpg

There was German writing just below the roof (i'll add more pics later) i got my polish friend to try and translate the writing he seemed to think it said "i welcome you my friends........" but my picture did not get the full sentence..... (rookie mistake). the house had a pretty cool door knocker too (see other pics). the maze was pretty close by but greenery tends to blend in which made it harder to find ...... when we eventually found it it was untended and a bit overgrown.
1560252153873.png

on the way back out we came across some chalk pits that looked to have been dug out for whatever reason they were pretty tall and at least a couple of meters wide . lastly one of my favorite things about this place is that from one of the garden you can see all the way back down the grounds and then back up a hill to a little house we must be talking a distance of nearly a mile its hard to explain but you can see the long straight line from one end to the other. i do have a couple of pics of this but there not particularly clear.
1560252565361.png

Snapchat-1477764409.jpg

Last edited:

UrbanArborist

28DL Member
28DL Member
It's not abandoned I done all my tree surgeon courses there and know the game keeper who lives in the Russian Hut. His name is Chris and getting pissed off people breaking in the house. Its owned by a very rich Arab. Again for anyone reading! Its NOT abandoned..... Its someones house with there property still there and there are 5 people that live in there ‍♂️

Scottieboi

UrbeXUntold
28DL Full Member
Nice man by definition the place is abandoned because the owner doesn't live there at the moment but security do and trust me walking around inside is a good came of cat and mouse especially when you could possibly walk into a room where one of them is staying, due to the recent exposure the place got from another youtuber I believe they moved out of the corner of the building they stay in and dotted themselves around to catch urban explorers. Needless to say they never caught me
20190527_202049.jpg
20190527_201417.jpg

The Witness

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Haha like when Scooby and shaggy would get chased about a manor house . I just saw the light on and didn't fancy just walking in the back doors but if it's just security it doesn't sound too bad . I still thought it was occupied

Scottieboi

UrbeXUntold
28DL Full Member
This isn't a place you do lightly bud honestly like genuine advice would be to stay away, it's a very fine line you know we say the word abandoned and parts of it are its fallen into disrepair and isn't being treated like a listed building should but there are still alot of beautiful parts of it my advice is stay away I've done alot of scouting 5 times before I went in and I got a few friends who know the people around the site so had alot of info before I went in, access is a bitch, and as I said there are security in random rooms so all you gotta do is open and door and boom your caught but it's beautiful honestly it is I haven't put it on my insta or even edited the youtube video yet letting all the hype in the news forget about it before I do that as heard a fair few credible rumours that the owner was taking legal action against the youtubers who first went in so yeah be careful budI literally love round the corner so scouting for me is easy

The Witness

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Yeah mate I don't intend on going back for a while it doesn't really seem worth it to me , iv seen plenty of pics of the insides so at least that settles the curiosity. It's a shame the owner doesn't take more care of the building and grounds especially! , any idea what the chalk pits and stuff were for?

Scottieboi

UrbeXUntold
28DL Full Member
One bit I didnt see was the chalk pits I saw a massive swing and the small maze etc but no chall pit bud not sure where that bit is

The Witness

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Imagine your walking down the long steps, dead in front of you is the archways if you stand under the arches it's right in front of you, there's not much to see tbh just wondered what it was there for might be a dried out pond or something