real time web analytics
Report - - Silverstone Rally Spint Stage | Leisure Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Silverstone Rally Spint Stage

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

V

V1nce

Hello,

I've been a long time lurker on this forum but now I’ve got something worth posting I’ve signed up.

The Roger Clark Silverstone Rallysprint opened in 1997 to host a stage of that years Cheltenham based RAC Rally. The venue became an instant hit with spectators and competitors alike. Over the next few years the venue played host to rounds of the British rally championship, historic rallying and even its own Rallysprint championship where the top British drivers of the time took gladiator like names and did battle.

I believe the stage was last used for competition in 2001. British rallying was in a slump around this time and the pervious year the new Rally GB's base had moved to Cardiff. It was not feasible under WRC event rules that the traditional midlands spectator stages could be taken in (Cardiff’s bay area hosted a Rallysprint that year). I believe the Silverstone rally school may have used the site into 2002 before they lost interest to.

Last week we were down at the British Grand Prix and with threat that a short oval many be built on the site it seemed like a opportune time to have a look round the site.

IMG_0751.jpg

IMG_0750.jpg

IMG_0730.jpg

IMG_0731.jpg

IMG_0733.jpg

IMG_0734.jpg

IMG_0736.jpg

IMG_0739.jpg

IMG_0741.jpg

IMG_0743.jpg

IMG_0749.jpg

IMG_0744.jpg