real time web analytics
Report - - Simpson Street School Sunderland September 2017. | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Simpson Street School Sunderland September 2017.

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

dave

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
A while since i posted anything thought i better get something up. This place was on leads and rumours quite a few years back and it seems to have been forgotten about. Its the old Simpson Street School a brief history here. The school opened 1 May 1905 as Deptford Terrace Council School, Junior Department, later Deptford Terrace Junior Mixed School. It closed 26 March 1929 and a new school opened on the same site, on 1 April 1929 - Simpson Street Council School, Junior Boys Department. On 11 January 1943 the school amalgamated with the Girls Department to form Simpson Street Council School, Junior Mixed Department, later redesignated a County Primary School, Junior Mixed Department. On 1 January 1958 this school merged with the Infants Department. The school closed 21 July 1967. Not sure what happened after 1967 but it appears its been used as an arts centre in recent years and it looks like that may have closed now. Didnt stay too long inside just a quick visit really its mainly full of arty type stuff.

36461736804_493676b755_k.jpg

37108164476_5f988d60bf_k.jpg

37108188276_148d8282df_k.jpg

36461776574_ba6db3251b_k.jpg

37299863585_a8e30febca_k.jpg

36901374340_f5b3b19620_k.jpg

37126434002_ee2ecc013f_k.jpg

37126447862_72a9b28597_k.jpg

37108245486_4275bcc27d_k.jpg

Drift wood very arty these days.

36485281973_880a736c67_k.jpg

37126490732_e61acdea9d_k.jpg

Nothing too special but it is a new site and one off my list maybe some people local to the area may have a bit more info on its more recent past.

Yorrick

A fellow of infinite jest
28DL Full Member
it appears its been used as an arts centre in recent years
Spot on!

"Sunderland Artists Group is listed under the Sunderland Artists & Illustrators category and is located in Simpson St , Sunderland, Tyne and Wear.”

They’re mentioned in a few Linkedin CVs / profiles with dates from mid eighties to late nineties but I can’t find much else online.

stranton

subterranean explorer
Regular User
very nice :thumb

the building was originally planned for demo to build a new road,
but luckily this wasn't to be..

Last edited:

stranton

subterranean explorer
Regular User
part of the building was used as a metal working & arts workshop until its closure 2015 - 2016

Sed

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice one Dave - I popped in there a few years back with Catbalou and Stranton as we were passing and the door was open. Had a chat with a guy doing some arty structures with metal.
Good to see a report from you again - hope you are well. :)

dave

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice one Dave - I popped in there a few years back with Catbalou and Stranton as we were passing and the door was open. Had a chat with a guy doing some arty structures with metal.
Good to see a report from you again - hope you are well. :)

Hi Sed thanks for that i hadnt realised anyone had been in i,m fine how are you are you in this country anytime soon cheers mate.

Sed

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Yeah, Ive been kicking around UK for about 4 weeks now but not been in the north east much. I am driving up from Birmingham to Scotland some time over the next couple of days though so if I have time I might stop by the school and have a quick look in. Last time I went in it was all divided into seperate units so I only saw a tiny block of it - would be good to check out the rest of the old place. :)

Last edited:

Sed

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I popped into the school towards the end of last week for a quick look around whilst passing through. Not loads to see .. in fact your photos totally covered it Dave, but still, I was passing anyway so why not!!

dave

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I popped into the school towards the end of last week for a quick look around whilst passing through. Not loads to see .. in fact your photos totally covered it Dave, but still, I was passing anyway so why not!!
Nice one yes it is a bit of a let down sorry i wasnt there still maybe next time your in this neck of the woods.

Sed

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Passed through Sunderland again over the weekend and went to have another longer look at the school - it appears to have been sealed now with a big padlock on the door - at least it will protect the building a bit now though rather than just being wide open like it was a few weeks back. :)