real time web analytics
Report - - Sir Robert McAlpine Ltd. (Crane) Plant Dept. Kettering. - February 2014 | High Stuff | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Sir Robert McAlpine Ltd. (Crane) Plant Dept. Kettering. - February 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

ofthesohoriots

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I don't have any history for the one we climbed in particular, I would like to imagine it was used in a giant version of Robot Wars, but:

"Sir Robert McAlpine, 1st Baronet (February 1847 – November 1934), nicknamed "Concrete Bob", founded the British construction firm now known as Sir Robert McAlpine.
McAlpine was born in Newarthill, North Lanarkshire, Scotland, and left school at the age of 10 to work in a coal mine, but became an apprentice bricklayer. He was involved in the building of roads, public buildings and other works, some of the tunnelling for the Glasgow Subway and the Singer Sewing Machine factory in Clydebank, West Dunbartonshire. Overseas, in 1918 McAlpine was contracted to expand the harbour in Heraklion, Crete. The power station built for the purpose was later used to provide the town's electricity.
McAlpine built up the large building and civil engineering firm that bears his name; it continues to exist today. He was also a pioneer in the use of concrete and labour-saving machinery. See also Glenfinnan Viaduct.
He was made a baronet in 1918. He was first of the McAlpine baronets." - from Sir Robert McAlpine, 1st Baronet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The company's first contract was the repair of a mine chimney for £2.45 :)

"Ours is a history which reflects the pioneering path of the industrial and post-industrial age; from the railways of the 1880s and the great dockyards of the early
20th century to the nuclear power stations, oil rigs, retail and commercial developments of modern times.

It is a legacy that includes projects which have gone on to assume a symbolism of their own, buildings that define an era; the original Wembley Stadium, the Millennium Dome, the Eden Project.

From a world of coal and steam, through two world wars, the dawning of the nuclear age and our passage into the bright new technology of today, it is a heritage defined by innovation, engineering excellence and technical accomplishment.

This wealth of experience, combined with our collaborative approach and reputation for quality, timely delivery and managerial excellence place us in a strong position to meet the challenges ahead." - from Our 140 Year Heritage | Sir Robert McAlpine

Having been to Kettering a few times this year, I can't believe I continually missed the cranes just off the A14 towards the end of February.
Luckily, NightVision spotted them, kindly drove us to the place, and after madspof finally found a route (that actually existed or wasn't closed off) to a spot we could park, we were soon at the base of NightVision's first crane. (the further distant of the two you can see here with red and green lights)

b_zpsb5f8c486.jpg

The lowest hatch was locked, so we had to slither up and around the outside of that part of the boom/climbing frame/mast/thing, and then plain sailing up to the machinery arm/the bit you walk along with the counterweight on it, opposite the jib/the bit where we drank Um Bongo and set up our tripods.

a4_zps6c49eaa5.jpg

b2_zpsa459fb0f.jpg

a1_zpsc0eec102.jpg

a2_zpsf212385f.jpg

Back on the ground, I realised the other two had only just clocked that we were surrounded by crane parts, that being the reason I'd asked madspof if he knew it was safe to climb the one we did!

a6_zps2bf224d5.jpg

a3_zpsda10e551.jpg

Thanks to NightVision, madspof, and Sir Robert himself.