real time web analytics
Report - - Skully Relief Sewer and CSO, Stockport - October 2013. | UK Draining Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Skully Relief Sewer and CSO, Stockport - October 2013.

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin

Skully Relief Sewer and CSO, Stockport

1.jpg

This new CSO constructed under Mersey Square has only just been completed, so much so I had to jump the fenced off compound to grab a pic of the liddage that sits in front of the Plaza ^

The Stockport Town Centre Drainage Area consists of a single sewered catchment, which has an approximate catchment area of 10.48 km² and serves a total residential population of approximately 51,800

The drainage area is served predominantly by a combined or partially separate gravity sewerage system

Essentially a relief sewer used to carry excess flow away from the main trunk during severe weather

A powered screen has been installed to prevent further unsatisfactory intermittent discharges and retain solids greater than 6mm in any two directions

Credits to FreshFingers for getting this done and for the invite on the follow up visits with Alley :thumb

(We also managed to drag Nickindroy in on on a recent re-visit)

'Getting in' was never going to be straight forward

2.jpg

..Oh wait

3.jpg

The outfall is a slippery RCP, which quickly gives way to a steep 4.5ft brick egg

(this is looking back down towards the river)

4.jpg

Eventually the steep incline levels out, the amount of times we nearly tumbled back down I lost count :D

5.jpg

The smell of fresh filled my nostrils as we headed up the overflow which stretches a fair distance

Eventually a small inspection chamber presents itself, ahead of the newly installed powered screen

You can see where the original brick egg has been truncated and merged into the newer chamber

6.jpg

A short crawl up a RCPP leads to the powered screening chamber as modelled by yours truly

7.jpg

It probably came as no surprise to Alley that the first thing I did was jump over into the p00p department

This pic was taken on a previous visit, and the shit scraper was covered in.. Well shit and lots of it!

8.jpg

On the return visit it looks like UU have been down to give it a polish

9.jpg

Beyond the machinery the sewer continues u/s via another RCPP (Re-inforced corrugated plastic pipe)

It was 1ft deep with stale :turd and having stirred it with my size 10's I decided to get a move on

10.jpg

In the distance another inspection chamber which allowed for a further back stretch before once again changing back to a stoopy 4.5ft brick egg

11.jpg

The upstream section was long and slippery, a couple of smaller side pipes entered along the way

12.jpg

Around 200ft of this..

13.jpg

We came to this..

A weir up into a smaller section of pipe heading upstream

It was fairly confined and very slippery with no easy way up so we decided to head back

14.jpg

Back in the CSO, you can see where the relief sewer exits via a small slot, here a Penstock can be raised/lowered when required

15.jpg

Sadly there is no easy way out of here with these beastly hatches guarding the place

16.jpg

It was good to finally see what was down there, massive thanks to Alley and FreshFingers for the outings :thumb

The Kwan

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Some of this looks beautiful and some of this looks bloody awful but the photos are spot on, I like the contrasting blue engineering brick against the red brick :thumb

Nickindroy

A Porky Prime Cut
Regular User
Slippy as fuck. Knew that Plaza pic would be a beauty! Lot's more shit on your previous visits I see. :D Had a great night out with all of you, many thanks. :thumb

paulpowers

Massive Member
Regular User
cracking pics, there was work going on here a couple of weeks ago

The cover outside ups n downs looks a bit obvious :D

Kaplan

Procrastinator
28DL Full Member
Looks good :thumb

Reminds me, there's some rather stinky egg-shaped brickwork under Sheffield that I need to remember to go back and have a look at one of these days!

toby

Armchair warrior
28DL Full Member
Those are fantastic shots Ojay. How you prevent lens steamage-up with all that shite in the air is amazing. Great shots, great report.

(Christ, I just mis-typed "great" and it was auto-corrected to Garrett! It was really! Agh, I hope this post isn't banned? :-)