real time web analytics
Report - - Sleaford Bass Maltings (December 2016) | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Sleaford Bass Maltings (December 2016)

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

jaws

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
The Bass Maltings in Sleaford are a group of eight currently disused malt houses, originally owned by the Bass Brewery of Burton upon Trent, built between 1901 and 1907. Situated in the agricultural county of Lincolnshire, the Maltings made use of barley which was widely grown in Sleaford and the surrounding area, however by 1959 the development of more efficient techniques at Bass's other plants led to its closure.

In the meantime, it has had a number of other uses such as to keep chickens, however has never been fully occupied since it ceased its original use in 1959. Furthermore, a fire in 1976 caused severe damage in three of the malthouses, and it has laid derelict since the 1990s.

There have been plans to redevelop it (keeping many original features due to its Grade II listed status) into a mixed-use residential and enterprise 'quarter', however it was as early as 2004 that a regeneration scheme proposed redevelopment into a residential, retail and business space, with plans being submitted in 2009, but disagreements over a link road into the site and the withdrawal of Tesco's £20m supermarket investment meant that the plans have been effectively on hold since around 2012.

The various fires that the building has suffered (most recently in 2014) are evident in the condition of the buildings, most obviously in the roofs, however the parts we accessed seemed to be in serviceable condition.

Visiting with JX3MST and two non members, access to the site itself was relatively easy, however between each brewery is a set of gates, varying in difficulty to get round/over/through.

38426196541_dc1bd2cabe_b.jpg

We started in one of the buildings to the edge of the site furthest from the main gate, simply by chance from seeing an ajar door, however upon further inspection of the floor inside we decided we should choose another building.

30940779023_23c7f74e3f_b.jpg

30940781593_5d649ae354_b.jpg

37711612584_285a3551eb_b.jpg

We decided to move onto the main event, being the water tower with the infamous spiral stairs leading up to it.

31603642472_7f377397aa_b.jpg

31603670742_2806979838_b.jpg

30940787063_cc71f6c214_b.jpg

Apologies for the poor quality photo, although I wanted to show the next set of stairs, which were made of very precarious-feeling wood...

38426195851_6511f5f00e_b.jpg

More photos of the inside of the water tower

31750607045_e78e124e45_b.jpg

30940795133_ff9c3ca761_b.jpg

And finally onto the roof!

30940790823_11dd7eedb5_b.jpg

31750587165_8977fe75e2_b.jpg

It has become a theme to take a group photo wherever we go, and what better a place than the top of the water tower!

37711610484_10f80c16da_b.jpg

Unfortunately, at this point our visit was cut short as moments after the previous photo was taken we heard the main gate open, and saw a man in hi-vis walking towards us. We made our way down as quickly as possible (rather difficult with the set of ladders right at the top, and the wooden stairs that couldn't be trusted with the load of more than one person), and unfortunately didn't escape but were accosted at the top of the spiral staircase.

Fortunately the security guard was rather friendly in the end, after realising our only interest was photos and that we were somewhat sensible (he first threatened to call police and asked us to show how we got in) and we ended up having a nice chat, after which he let us out of the main gate. It's slightly annoying that we didn't get to look around more of the site, however the view was definitely worth the 2 hour drive!

Thanks to James for most of the photos, hope you enjoyed the report and any feedback is much appreciated!

Bugsuperstar

Irresponsible & Reckless
Regular User
I like your pics. A classic place for sure.

Myself and Kitty nearly got caught on top of the tower. Sounds like he was alright in the end.

jaws

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I like your pics. A classic place for sure.

Myself and Kitty nearly got caught on top of the tower. Sounds like he was alright in the end.

Yeah, I offered that he search our bags to show that we were 'genuine', and after that we actually had a conversation and he said that we had set off some silent IR alarm. We were sitting ducks on top of the tower, anywhere else and we might have have had a bit more fun...

Hussar

28DL Member
28DL Member
I went there today, shortly after Aurora security turned up. They were ott. I refused to give my identity, and kept repeating that had no right to detain us, after she locked us on the site. The lady refused to let us out after repeatedly being asked - imo unlawful detention. She was clearly stalling for another guard, who later turned up, opened the front gate, through which I walked. Then the angry idiot started pushing me around as I attempted to leave, already on public land. He calmed down when we started filming. Very strange behavior, either a badly trained angry employee or an over zealous proud owner.

https://www.sleafordstandard.co.uk/...angerou-sleaford-maltings-buildings-1-7906291

Long story short seems they are over doing protection of this site, they probably have infrared triggers, if secca are 'writing it up', they are stalling for back up. Big shame as it's a beauty.

Last edited:

jaws

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I went there today, shortly after Aurora security turned up. They were ott. I refused to give my identity, and kept repeating that had no right to detain us, after she locked us on the site. The lady refused to let us out after repeatedly being asked - imo unlawful detention. She was clearly stalling for another guard, who later turned up, opened the front gate, through which I walked. Then the angry idiot started pushing me around as I attempted to leave, already on public land. He calmed down when we started filming. Very strange behavior, either a badly trained angry employee or an over zealous proud owner.

https://www.sleafordstandard.co.uk/...angerou-sleaford-maltings-buildings-1-7906291

Long story short seems they are over doing protection of this site, they probably have infrared triggers, if secca are 'writing it up', they are stalling for back up. Big shame as it's a beauty.

Interesting article, not sure how they plan on going about collecting people’s details and prosecuting them though.

It was Aurora security when we went in 2016 but the guy seemed alright. They must have just had the IR sensors in the building with water tower as we were on the top for about 30 mins before anyone came, security patrols must have been a new addition in April. Might have to go back just to see what happens

oneillbox

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
go in 2 groups.....a couple of you act as guinea pigs to deliberately get caught and then get let out by the security staff.......in the meantime the others can get stuck into seriously exploring. my advice is to do the spiral staircase and water tower first as this is the only place you are vulnerable with no exit.....everywhere else has multiple access and exit points.