real time web analytics
Report - - Sleaford Maltings - Lincolnshire Jan 2011 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Sleaford Maltings - Lincolnshire Jan 2011

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Horus

Butt Wipe
28DL Full Member
Sleaford Maltings​

In attendance: Horus, forsaken

IMG_0091.jpg

The Maltings is a Grade II* listed complex built between 1901 and 1907 that consists of nine parallel ranges.

workers1.jpg

The central block with its engine house and water tower is flanked by six-storey malthouses on either side containing the Steeps, Kilns and Granaries. It has a total floor space of 500,000 square feet, and occupies a site of 13.3 acres with a frontage almost 1,000 ft long. Internally there is a substantial amount of surviving machinery and fittings relating to the maltings process.

workers.jpg

Associated with the main maltings buildings are the former Mess Rooms. In separate ownership are also the former Company Housing, Cart Shed, Stables, Weigh Office and other ancillary buildings.

The building overlooks open countryside but it is physically very close to the centre of Sleaford, separated only by the railway line.

Maltings operations ceased in 1959 and the buildings were subsequently used for poultry farming and vegetable processing. They are now all empty.

staircase.jpg

An application in 1982 to demolish the Maltings was refused at appeal in 1984.

cars.jpg

In recent years, Sleaford has experienced an increasing population and an improving economy, and this has opened up a wide range of opportunities for potential uses for the Maltings.

newsclip.jpg

The Visit​

Yet another dawn broke and off for a road trip, destination .. Lincolnshire, a long journey to say the least took about 2hrs, while driving down the country lane forsaken saw smoke appearing in the distance, unfortunately 2 cars collided, when we stopped i took it into my stride to make sure everyone was ok, luckily everyone was ok, once past the crash we drove a little more until we saw our challenge, my first thought was "WOW" nothing what i was expecting..

While we were inside the building taking some pictures (as ya do) we heard voices from outside, to our despair we saw this...

_NGT9543.jpg

We talked and talked some more and finally came to an idea to try and scare them off, So i shouted "Oi, what are you doing? Clear off now" while hidden.

_NGT9544.jpg

Result!

On with the pictures..

IMG_0081.jpg

IMG_0077.jpg

IMG_0074.jpg

IMG_0073.jpg

IMG_0067.jpg

IMG_0066.jpg

IMG_0061.jpg

IMG_0057.jpg

IMG_0052.jpg

IMG_0044.jpg

IMG_0041.jpg

IMG_0039.jpg

IMG_0034.jpg

IMG_0033.jpg

IMG_0027.jpg

IMG_0023.jpg

IMG_0022.jpg

IMG_0020.jpg

IMG_0010.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

Site rating 5/10 - Reason being although its a huge place and great to walk around it, there was'nt much there, the highlight in my opinion was the spirel staircase, the rest of it was just empty rooms.​

Last edited:

Who has read this thread (Total: 0) View details