real time web analytics
Question - - Slide and negative scanners any recommendations? | Photography and Video Forum | Page 2 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Question - Slide and negative scanners any recommendations?

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Gone

Regular User
Epson V550/600/700 depending on budget. The digital ICE is clever stuff, my older Epson doesn't have it though so check out the specs if you buy second hand. It runs two scans from RGB and IR lamps, the IR picks up dust and scratches and then will remove/fix them. The Epson bundled software is good too.

Gone

Regular User
Balls, you have a £50 budget. Just get them scanned at your local photo centre. I made the mistake of buying a cheap scanner, it was terrible, just spend the money and get something that will do your photographs justice.

Session9

A life backwards
28DL Full Member
Balls, you have a £50 budget. Just get them scanned at your local photo centre. I made the mistake of buying a cheap scanner, it was terrible, just spend the money and get something that will do your photographs justice.

I can predict spending many hours scanning my precious negatives and then thinking 'what if I'd forked out on a better quality machine' - after all its usually our oldest work we cherish the most.
Good stuff Gone :thumb

Borninthe40s

28DL Member
28DL Member
I am looking at getting a slide and negative scanner, including scanning 110 film.
Do any members have any recommendations or advise please? Ideally like to spend less than £50.

I was looking about 7 years ago for a good quality, not too expensive scanner that would do film and transparencies as well as documents and photos. After much research, I decided to buy a Canon CanoScan 8800F. http://www.canon.co.uk/scanners/flatbed-scanners/canoscan_8800f/

It's an A4 scaneer but has frames for 35mm slides, 35mm strip, and 120/620 film strip. As an ex.pro photographer, I have a large library of prints, slides and negatives, in various formats that I wanted to digitize.

I've found it reliable, fast (relatively), and with just a little lateral thinking have been able to scan 5"x4" tranparencies and negatives too. My prints have been up 20"x16" in size and by scanning in two parts, these were quite easily joined together again with photoshop.

Examples of my scanned shots can be found here....https://www.flickr.com/photos/nudistsailor/sets/72157651185473422/

It is still available at less than £200 inc delivery if you google it!

JohnJay

28DL Member
28DL Member
Thanks Borninthe40s.
I had a shufty at your canon , and come across the epson V600 .
1 thing leads to another ..Ta

cineguy

28DL Member
28DL Member
I am looking at getting a slide and negative scanner, including scanning 110 film.
Do any members have any recommendations or advise please? Ideally like to spend less than £50.

one of my mates was trying to get film scanned or his dad's birthday and bought a cheap scanner but he had so many problems with it and ended up having to get one for about £250 on ebay. he said there's quite a few on there but they take forever so it might be worth looking into a company that can do it for you? if you're not willing to go too far out of your budget then I know (supaphoto.com) can do this, otherwise having a look on eBay or Amazon.co.uk (links attached to all) might be worth it

hope that helpful