real time web analytics
Report - - Slop Pail, Bury (Walshaw Brook) - June 2016 | UK Draining Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Slop Pail, Bury (Walshaw Brook) - June 2016

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Bolts

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Slop Pail (the Walshaw Brook section)

vdn1v4.jpg

This culvert is actually 2 culverts in one. The Walshaw Brook infalls from the North and is joined by the Elton Brook further down the line, before carrying on underground until the brook emerges into the sunlight. Visited with @TunnelMon and spent a good few hours stooping around down here.

We dropped in at the Elton Brook infall and proceeded down the short stretch of RCP to the junction. TM decided that we'd go left in the direction of the Walshaw Brook, vowing to "come back for the good bit" later. After much stooping, we found ourselves at the stretch of RCP that led to the Walshaw Brook infall - it was here that we started taking pictures. The next two shots show the brick section just after the infall; the first picture is facing downstream and the second is looking back the other way.

15ry5ns.jpg

rjed55.jpg

The brick section didn't last for long and we were soon back to RCP, which carried on for a fair distance.

347y5co.jpg

34g2ibd.jpg

4j2ghw.jpg

The next part of the brook was extremely stoopy, but this was where things started to get interesting. A very short section of brick soon gave way to a large stone arch section with lots of twists and turns to keep you entertained, so I took the opportunity to fiddle about with my camera settings.

2lc07dw.jpg

35k1wky.jpg

311w782.jpg

After a lot of clambering over rocks I was almost on the home run back to the Elton Brook infall, and all that lay between me and the junction was a stretch of mineral-infused brick tunnel that was barely tall enough for me to stoop through, although it was by far my favourite bit of the Walshaw Brook section.

71tk3r.jpg

From here it was a short distance back to the junction, however due to the crazy amount of mist in the culvert we had to stop to clean our camera lenses constantly and replace the batteries in my head-torch. A small stone arch soon opened up into a tunnel that I could almost stand up in.

f2vekw.jpg

11j16vr.jpg

Due to the mist and the time we had to call it a day here. Just before we left we took a short look at the Elton Brook section where the legendary bucket sits, and made it to the large construction shaft that lies just downstream. We will return for more... :D

2lm5sbb.jpg

View attachment 690058

View attachment 690060

View attachment 690062

View attachment 690064

View attachment 690066

View attachment 690069

View attachment 690071

View attachment 690072

View attachment 690074

View attachment 690076

View attachment 690078

View attachment 690081

View attachment 690082

Last edited:

WildBoyz

Is this the future?
28DL Full Member
Looks like a proper back-breaker. Really good shots though. The random bucket is an interesting find.

MrDevla

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Some cracking photos there, good work! Is this near the near the cricket pitch and monkey bridge @Bolts ?

Bolts

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Looks like a proper back-breaker
Loving the stoop
It was a good un, there were a few opportunities to stand up and give your back a rest but the majority of it was crazy squatting or hands-and-knees crawling
Nicely done, great to see some brickwork :thumb
cracking stuff, lovely brick work :thumb
It's one of few drains in Bury with brickwork but it's a good one...there's supposedly even more of it in the Elton Brook section so I've got that to look forward to hahah

Who has read this thread (Total: 5) View details