real time web analytics
Report (Permission Visit) - Slough Power Station, Slough - April 2017 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report (Permission Visit) Slough Power Station, Slough - April 2017

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

WhoDaresWins

Let's do this
Regular User
Permission visit with @Boba Low & @Dempsey. I hope this will be of interest to some!

Between us we'd talked about and scouted around this place several times in the hope of accessing the older sections and hoping the old Parsons turbines were still in situ. One day we just walking into a door at the front and got talking to a worker. We asked if there was any chance of a looking around the old parts of the power station. He put us onto the gaffer and luckily arranged for us to have a look around. We kind of got to see what he hoped for, plus some expected parts as our guide was sound as pound. I'll let the photos do the talking.

First some History:
There has been a power station on the Slough Trading Estate site supplying electricity, hot water and steam to the trading estate, local businesses and some residential customers in Slough since the 1920s. The power station operated on coal and gas until 2000 but was converted to renewable and sustainable fuel (Biomass) in 2001/02. It was acquired from SEGRO by Scottish and Southern Energy in January 2008.

The power station used to be the largest energy facility in the UK running on biomass, burning around 300,000 tonnes of non-recyclable material per year that would otherwise have gone into landfill. Wood fuel is supplied by Thames Valley Bioenergy and comes in the form of woodchips from local authorities, foresters, short rotation coppice growers and other sources. Non-recyclable materials such as laminates and packaging are supplied in the form of reconstituted fuel cubes made next to the site. The power station provides electricity, heat and drinking water to some 400 industrial and commercial premises on Slough Trading Estate and electricity to about 2,500 nearby domestic premises.

It is now known as Slough Heat & Power.

Externals:

The old control room:

Keeping your cuppa tea spill free:

Onward to where the old turbine hall:

Bummer, all the Parsons were taken out some years back...

Still, we were shown some photos of them in situ. Don't they look beautiful!

Still some nice features left over though:

Some other random bits and pieces:

Water pump for the cooling system:

Condenser for one of the new turbines:

One ugly brown generator:

I loved seeing the little vents of steam here and there:

On to the cooling tower:

The other, non-running, cooling tower:

Thanks for looking :)

Attachments

• _DSC3868.jpg
    _DSC3868.jpg
    749.5 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:

Speed

Got Epic Slow?
Regular User
I was almost glad i failed after seeing the photos of the empty hole, that would have been a disappointment and a half! Still looks like there was a bit left to see even with the lack of Parsons..

Exploring with Andy

Behind Closed Doors
Staff member
We were looking into visiting here a little while back, but decided not risk entering a live power station site after finding out the Person's have gone. Still plenty to see though; the control room is a goodun!

Brewtal

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Lovely! Shame about the missing Parsons but the control room is a beaut!

WhoDaresWins

Let's do this
Regular User
I was almost glad i failed after seeing the photos of the empty hole, that would have been a disappointment and a half! Still looks like there was a bit left to see even with the lack of Parsons..

Yeah shame the parsons have been ripped up. Otherwise it might of been worthy of a proper attempt despite being live. Still, at least we know what’s left of the old coal fired part of it. The control room was really nice. The old boiler room was mostly empty. I have a photo but not much to see.

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
What a cracker, very nice. You got what you wanted and more, bonus. Love a plan coming together. What a diamond geezer to tour you around. :cool:

drhowser

Bespectacled & irrelevant
Regular User
Ah cracking, I reckon Boba had wanted this for about ten years now, I bet him and Dempsey were apoplectic with excitement!

Seffy

SWC
Staff member
Still gutted I wasn’t able to go back with you and see more than just inside the front door :D

Peng pictograms dude - good to see the full set!

Who has read this thread (Total: 359) View details