real time web analytics
Question - - SLR advice | Kit / Clothing / Equipment | Page 2 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Question - SLR advice

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
There's still plenty of people on here use the Nikon D40. By the time you have reduced your image size four-fold, you'll never know the difference.

I would buy a second-hand body and second-hand wide angle lens.

I don"t doubt there is mate. The point i"m making is there"s other alternatives that are overlooked by the CaNikon Brigade than can offer more benefits and give a better quality image than an older Model can £ for £.

Such is the progress of Electronics these days (as you know)

As for the G5 (which is just a suggestion with the OP being a Panasonic user) you are basically getting an Olympus OMD quality sensor with great feature in a much cheaper price tag.....bonus.

Also as i"ve said ergonomics play a major part, if the user has smaller or larger hands you can discount lots of DSLRs straight away, but unless you can handle them you won"t know if it"s for you.

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

As i said previously (hence the suggestion) you"re already used to the Panasonic interface/ergonomics/EVF & of course the articulated screen. (Which if you"ve never had one you don"t know what you"re missing BTW)

I could have said Sony A58 which would exceed the G5 output & features but then we"d be complicating things even more lol

Vulex

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
As i said previously (hence the suggestion) you"re already used to the Panasonic interface/ergonomics/EVF & of course the articulated screen. (Which if you"ve never had one you don"t know what you"re missing BTW)

I could have said Sony A58 which would exceed the G5 output & features but then we"d be complicating things even more lol

And seeing as i struggled to insert photos onto a forum, I think I need simple hah! ;)

The Lone Ranger

Safety is paramount!
Staff member
Yes ;)
No substitute for being hands-on mate.

You need a Jessops or big Currys/PC World unless yr near WEX/Park/Harrisions etc etc for a broad range

There are some great local camera shops around too, without going to the supermarkets. The staff give great advice and prices are usually competitive. Use them or you'll just end up with the limited selection on display at Currys/PC World :thumb

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I don"t know your location so can"t suggest any camera stores (who normally only carry a small range from a few makers) hence the suggestion of Jessops and the Currys/PCWorld as they have a range of lower priced cameras from most of the makers available in front of you to mess with. Then you can go elsewhere and get it cheaper lol

The trouble with say the Panny G5 amonst others is finding one of the few remaining Camera dealers actually having something that does not have CaNikon on it ;)

The Lone Ranger

Safety is paramount!
Staff member
Curry's is fine if you want to get advice from a salesman who often doesn't know his f-stop from his g-spot, fair enough you can feel a camera in store :D

psykx

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I've just spent some time looking into this. Basically cannon and nikon have the largest range of lenses (both have 250+). The other camera manufactures still make great kit but the aftermarket lenses can be lacking in choice. If you will be happy with common lenses then from what I see, canon and nikon don't offer much over the competition.

I would start by assessing what your current camera isn't doing for you that you would like it to and go from there. Once thats done, I would choose which family of cameras you would like to get into. Then buy the cheapest second hand body you can, and a good lens for it.

Saying that, I have read great reviews of the nikon 3300 and I doubt very much you would be disappointed if you bought one.

I'm sticking with film cameras for the time being so make of that what you will.

Lancashire lad

chief taster for costa coffee
28DL Full Member
after I looked at numerous models on line and all sorts I found a Nikon d5000 crop body sensor from wilkinsons cameras it came with 18-55 kit lense spare battery charger and shoulder strap , I already had a camera bag cost was 180 quid bargain never let me down yet like acid says tho you need to look about there are more out there then just Nikon and canon what I would advise is try to see the camera first hand and see how it feels in the hand and the ease of use no pont buying it then realise you don't get on with it , it will only lead to you being pissed off everytime you go out

BrainL

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I cant offer as in depth advice as the guys already have but one thing I would recommend if possible is a swivel screen thing... I used the Nikon D5200 and being able to swivel the screen out has come in so handy, regularly watch people struggling on their hands and knees to set up a shot when I can just twist my screen around :)

Vulex

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Thanks for all the advice guys, you've all been really helpful. I will defo compare the Nikon and Cannon cameras as well as taking a good luck at the G5. @BrainL good call on the swivel screen.

Who has read this thread (Total: 2) View details