real time web analytics
Report - - Smithfield market hall, manchester, april 2010 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Smithfield market hall, manchester, april 2010

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

morse

The Green Giraffe
28DL Full Member
First of all a warning. This place is wrecked and full of graffiti. But i believe that it played an important role in manchesters' history hence why i post up this report.

Markets played an important role in mancherter's history. In its best time most of the now called northern quarter used to be part of the big market. Although most stands were outside, some dealings also happened in the few market halls. Most of these halls have now disappeared from manchesters face. When walking through the northern quarter you can still see a few of the old walls that have been integrated into new apartment blocks.
Smithfield market hall seems to be one of the few halls still standing. It was only boarded up recently but sadly there had been a lot of vandalism inside it.

Manchester was first given the right to hold markets in 1066 by the newly victorious William the Conqueror. In a congratulatory gesture.
The council’s longstanding link with markets was created in 1845, when the authority bought the city’s Market Rights from Sir Oswald Moseley.
In 1872, the Smithfield area around Shude Hill and Thomas Street was transformed by the creation of the wholesale fruit, vegetable and fish markets. Situated in what is now known as the Northern Quarter area of the city, Smithfield was a cavernous structure filled with the vibrancy and chaos of goods being loaded and deals being made.
http://www.manchestermarkets.com/Hi.../The-History-of-the-Manchester-Markets_27.asp

smithfieldold.jpg

smithfieldplan.jpg

Here some of my pictures. As you will see there is a lot of graffiti. The atmosphere in this place was just amazing. Although i am not a fan of graffiti, the colours of the walls matched very well to the once colourful market hall. Enjoy.

IMG_0342-2.jpg

IMG_0325.jpg

IMG_0324.jpg

IMG_0327.jpg

IMG_0334.jpg

IMG_0326.jpg

IMG_0339-2.jpg

IMG_0322.jpg

Who has read this thread (Total: 3) View details